Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i change domain name in SBS2000?

Can i change domain name in SBS2000?

Re: Can i change domain name in SBS2000?

A quick google resulted in a definite NO

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

From what i understand you can't change the domain name without re-installing the Server.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../sbspni5n.mspx

Note: After you install Small Business Server, you cannot change the domain name or the NetBIOS name. These settings are used to configure the Small Business Server applications at installation. Changing these names will affect the software that is installed on your server and will require you to completely reinstall Small Business Server.

Comment

I'll add to your misery.

Absolutely, positively, 100% NO WAY can you change the domain name.

From LOTS of actual hands on experience and LOTS of reading about installing every version of SBS - everything I have seen says that you are not even allowed to THINK about changing the Domain name.

Comment

Changing the name of a Windows 2000 server is not supported
          The only way to do it is as follows:

1) Make sure that you have an additional domain controller.
          If you usually only have one domain controller (the one whose name you want to change), make another Windows 2000 server a domain controller temporarily. You can even build a spare workstation machine up as a domain controller if you are just using it for this purpose.

2) Move all of the FSMO,.... Roles over to the server you just made a domain controller.
          Verify whether was successfull.

3) Replication should be upto date.

4) Run DCPROMO on the machine that you will want to change the name of and DEMOTE the machine to being a domain controller.

5) Remove the machine from the domain and reboot

6) Rename the server and reboot

7) Add the machine back into the domain, reboot.

Run DCPROMO and PROMOTE that machine to a domain controller.

9) Validate that Directory Replication is working correctly from the logs.

10) Move the FSMO roles back to the renamed server. Validate this move was successful.

11) Run DCPROMO on the temporary DC you created and DEMOTE the server back to a member server.

12) Retire the temporary DC

Comment

Thyagu,

I beg to differ . . . and sorry to disagree, but

DCPROMO is not supported on SBS.

An SBS server is the primary server and will always be the primary server. This is a limitation that Microsoft put in the product BY DESIGN.

It is their way of saying, "If you really wanted a full-fledged server without all the booby-traps we could think of, you would have paid us more money."

You can have additional domain controllers on the network, but you can't promote them.

Comment

OK
              I think that i understood it

Comment

The answer is Yes, but it is probably not worth it! Thyagu got part of the way there with his TempDC which is in effect a Swing migration. What he forgot is that the AD still has Exchange info in it and you cannot rename a domain controller with Exchange on it - so you have to "get rid" of Exchange. How to do that is explained in the Swing kit at www.sbsmigration.com.
                Far better would be to upgrade to SBS 2003 since 200 is nearing end-of-life, has more security holes etc, and use the migration method of Microsft with ADMT to upgrade to a new server - Exmerge is used for mail so the domain name issue doesn't arise.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

IIRC one of the limitations on SBS 2000 (but not 2003) is a single DC, so the migration to a temp DC would not work. I believe there are unsupported work-arounds but very dodgy.

As said, consider an upgrade to SBS2003 (R2) as a much better option.

Question: why do you need to change the domain name since it is purely for internal use?

Tom
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No, no, no, no, NOOOO!
                    There is no limitation on the number of DC's in an SBS network 2000 or 2003. You CAN put a TempDC in a 2000 AD - I have done 3 times this month already as I have done swing migrations for various clients.
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                    X