Workstations not listed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workstations not listed

I'm a little bit fuzzy on this subject, so I thought I'd ask the experts.

It was my understanding that when a PC on a Windows 2003 network boots up, that it is recognized by WINS on the server, and is subsequently listed as one of the available PCs when you browse to the local domain under MyNetwork Places.

This isn't happening for some of my PCs. They seem invisible, which makes it difficult to install certain applications remotely, like the Symantec Anti-Virus client.

For example, if I open Windows Explorer, got to My Network Places, then Microsoft Windows Network, then the domain - I see two of my 3 servers listed under the domain and a few of the workstations, but I do not see all of the workstations and one of the servers is also "missing in action."

To start with the basics, which you would naturally question if I checked it already, YES the PCs and the server are powered up and on the network. I can ping the missing server and workstations by name and get good replies. I have WINS installed and running on the SBS server. I have DNS installed and running on the SBS server. The missing server and workstations DO appear in the Active Registrations of WINS with the correct IP addresses, and they show up correctly under the Forward Lookup Zones in the domain.local section, also with the correct IP addresses.

In DHCP I have the correct entry for the local DNS Server and Domain Name, and the correct IP for the WINS server. I have set the WINS/NBT Node Type to 0x8.

All of the servers and workstations are on a simple class C network (subnet mask of 255.255.255.0) and on the same local switch. I have no problems or complications like different networks, routers, and so forth.

So - anybody got any idea what I am doing wrong? Can anybody tell me how Windows is supposed to get the list of workstations and servers on the network? How is it supposed to work?

Re: Workstations not listed

Are they set to use NetBIOS over TCP/IP?? I think you can configure this via DHCP aswell

You can check in properties of TCP/IP under the WINS tab.

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

All the workstations are configured to use the Netbios setting from the DHCP server. The node type setting is 0x8, which means Hybrid mode. That makes the workstation NetBios first try the WINS server, then try a broadcast to resolve names to IP addresses.

I guess the question is, when Explorer makes it's list of workstations on the domain, where and how does it get the list, and why is it listing only some of the workstations present?

Comment

From memory the Computer Browser service will get lists of the computers from the master browser, i could be wrong though.

Is the firewall enabled on your machines??

I'm not sure if you've read this and it may be like trying to teach granny how to suck eggs but i'll post it anyway

http://www.chicagotech.net/browser.h...nd%20Protocols

Comment

Granny knows how to suck eggs, but Granny doesn't know all the recipes.

Thanks. I think this is going to answer my question. I'll post another reply as a follow-up to let everyone know what the problem and fix turned out to be.

We learn by doing, and although I know a fair amount, I certainly don't have the market cornered on knowledge about how all this stuff really works, so it's nice to be able to bounce things off of the rest of you guys. Besides, half of my advanced knowledge on the things that I do know, I got right here on this web site.

I'll be back.

Comment

Again, if you use the //<server>/connectcomputer wizard to join all your workstations to the network, it will take care of all these settings for you and you shouldn't have to worry about the configuration. Of course, since youobviously understand what needs to there you can check afterwards, but you can then maybe narrow the problems down to a faulty switch or NIC causing noise on your system.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

I believe the problem is related to the server being multi-honed - i.e. having two NIC cards. I haven't had a chance to try the suggestions in the chicagotech.net article mentioned below because my idiot son blew out an engine from running it for a week without oil pressure. I couldn't stay last night to experiment mith un-binding netbios from the second NIC.

In case you're wondering WHY there is a second NIC, it was for a second Gigabit speed backup bus for the servers to increase the speed of backing up the servers and to take all that traffic off the primary network bus.

I sure do love being able to bounce this stuff off of you guys in the brain-trust. Kudos to Daniel Petri for providing a place for us to get together.

Comment

In that case (BTW it is NORMAL to have 2 NICS in SBS - one for lan, one facing router outside) you probably need to check binding order and make sure you main LAN card is at the top.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                X