USB 2. Ext Hdd problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 2. Ext Hdd problem

I have a customer who has a External HDD connected to a w2k server, the drive when i first seen it could not be opened it said specified location cannot be found, it is in disk management and my computer but you cannot access it.
    I changed the hdd in the caddy and it was fine ..or so i thought, the same thing happened to the new drive within a day, I then changed caddies and had a problem with that one, would not pick up happily on USB1.1.
    I have since installed a USB 2 PCI card and connected the original caddy to this and a new hard drive again, this worked for about 2 weeks (ntbackup runs to this drive), now it is stuffed again, I have the drive in disk management but not in my computer, and it is not accesable, cant format it can do anything with it, cant chkdsk it....any help would be appreciated, it says specified location cannot be found.

Re: USB 2. Ext Hdd problem

When you look in Disk Management does it have a drive letter assigned?
    How old is the installation of the operating system on this machine?
    Have you tried installing the chipset drivers for the motherboard?
    When you see it in Disk Management, what happen when you right click and select Open? What happend when you try it a SECOND time?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thats the error I get no matter how many time i right click it and open.
      The motherboard is a duel CPU server board.
      It has the z: next to it in disk management but sometimes does not show up under my computer

Comment

Is the motherboard a dual PIII or P4 system? (Shhhh, I know)
        Have you tried changing the drive letter?
        What Service Pack is it running?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

its Z Drive
          its an old P3 server board

And the weirdest thing happened I could not get it working so I loeft it the next day the backup worked to the drive i TS'd in there again and the drive was till not working, BUT when I VNC'd in it was there and working.
          I have never seen where are hard drive has issues with TS.

so I will see how it all goes

Comment

Working...
          X