Internet connection slow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet connection slow

I support a SBS 2003 SP1 Standard platform. The customer occasionally complains that the internet is slow (virtually unusable) and the only way I have been able to fix it is by rebooting the server. Unfortunately the server will sometimes come back good and other times it will remain accessing the internet slow. After looking through the logs, it is normally after the server has been rebooted for another reason, i.e. updates or power issues.

I have tried accessing the internet from both client and server and they are both affected when it is in it's go slow state. It might take 2-3 reboots for it to come good, but this is not the fix.

Can I rule out a config issue, if it has the good periods of operation?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Internet connection slow

First things first.

Have you checked the server for viruses and spyware??

Comment

Check that your server is not open for relay.
      try to stop the smtp virtual server and check the speed of the internet.
      Good Luck

Shai

MCSE 2003+Security;MCSE 2003+Messaging
      HP ASE;HP AIS;HP APS

So, from me to all of you out there, wherever you are, remember:
      the light at the end of the tunnel may be you. Good Day!

Comment

I have checked for viruses and spyware and we are not a open relay. I have also rerun the Internet Connection wizard again (multiple times).

I have also included the server ipconfig in case someone wants to check it out. The slowness happens on the server without any of the PC's turned on.

Any other thoughts?
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ian.andrews
          I support a SBS 2003 SP1 Standard platform. The customer occasionally complains that the internet is slow (virtually unusable) and the only way I have been able to fix it is by rebooting the server. Unfortunately the server will sometimes come back good and other times it will remain accessing the internet slow. After looking through the logs, it is normally after the server has been rebooted for another reason, i.e. updates or power issues.

I have tried accessing the internet from both client and server and they are both affected when it is in it's go slow state. It might take 2-3 reboots for it to come good, but this is not the fix.

Can I rule out a config issue, if it has the good periods of operation?

Any help would be appreciated.
          Is the SBS performing Internet Connection Sharing or proxying for the client?

If this slowness goes beyond the server and affects a client as well, I assume ICS or ISA is involved, otherwise why would SBS affect the client's internet latency?
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Is DNS working OK -- particularly are forwarders set up and root hints enabled?

From the IPCONFIG, you are going through a router (10.1.1.1), so have you tried directly connecting another PC to the router?

What sort of response times do you get for PING and TRACERT?

Sorry, questions, not answers!

Tom
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Which IP Address is your internal address??

On the 10 network you have the 192 DNS servers as your primary, could this be the problem???

Code:
              Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : sbs01
                 Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : SJ.local
                 Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
                 IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
                 WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
                 DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : SJ.local

Ethernet adapter Server Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
                 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-21-7C-E7-BC
                 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
                 IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2
                 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 
                 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2
                 Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2

Ethernet adapter Intenet Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311/312 PCI Adapter
                 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-E3-0B-B7-A3
                 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
                 IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.10
                 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1
                 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2
                 Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.2
                 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Comment

DNS is working fine. If I direct connect a laptop to the router, the speed is good. The internal network is 192.x.x.x Both Nics point to the internal DNS server which then forwards to the router and out again.

This is only an intermittant problem. It seems to be able to bring down the text, but struggles with the graphics. So I would rule out DNS issues.

Doing a ping or tracert, response is fine. Unfortunately this is a production server, so I can't play with it too much, it's get it up and running as they want to do business.

Thanks
                Ian

Comment

For your reference, Wullieb in SBS all NICs should point to the SBS Internal IP address as the DNS server. This is correct since the DNS server on SBS does all the name resolving by using the forwarders. What is more it means that it can cache frequently used addresses for quicker response in the future.
                  To the original problem, have you looked at the SMTP queues, when the server slows down? What kind of upload rate do you have on your internet connection?
                  You will see that many people are asking you questions to try and help since, although the IPConfig is a GREAT help we have too little info to accurately troubleshoot.
                  I would like to commend you on posting the IPConfig, on using 2 NICs in your server and rerunning the CEICW - it shows you are thinking the "SBS way"
                  For further troubleshooting, you could install the Windows network monitor on your SBS (it's in the Windows Components of Add/Remove programs) and use it as a "sniffer" on your external NIC to see what traffic is going out/coming in over the Internet. That would be a great way to diagnose your problem.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

[QUOTE=teiger]For your reference, Wullieb in SBS all NICs should point to the SBS Internal IP address as the DNS server. This is correct since the DNS server on SBS does all the name resolving by using the forwarders. What is more it means that it can cache frequently used addresses for quicker response in the future.[QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.

Its been a long time since i used SBS, but hey thats no excuse!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X