Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Store.exe utilising High Memory and Cpu in SBS 2003

Hi,

Recently my server began to have high utilisation of memory on the store.exe process under SBS 2003. The web has all sorts of fixes for older versions of Exchange but not 2003, although there are other instances mentioned on the web.

The system in question has Exchange Service Pack 2 with IMF, and uses CA Etrust antivirus. It takes a day or two for the memory leak to become apparent but after this time all operations on the server are very slow.

Presently I am only using this server with POP3 connectors??.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Store.exe utilising High Memory and Cpu in SBS 2003

How much memory are you using on the machine?

What has been changed since the machine was first set up and the time it began to leak memory?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi Daniel,

The server is a HP 2120 with 768 Mb of Ram and a 2.53 Ghz CPU. The latest thing I did on the server was to install SBS Sr 1. In the past few weeks I have also installed Exchange service pack 2, however I didn't notice any changes in the cpu / memory utilisation after the exchange upgrade.

Thanks

Comment

i know that the store.exe of exchange by design will use all available memory as well as the inetinfo.exe.

http://www.msexchange.org/articles/E...llocation.html

this suggests a few things to look at about memory management

Comment

This is happening on another server now. The following email was just sent to me from the server.

Alert on TC1 at 17/05/2006 2:55:35 AM

The store.exe process is allocating more memory than usual.

Check to see if you are having problems with e-mail. If so, stop and then restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service.

You can disable this alert or change its threshold by using the Change Alert Notifications task in the Server Management Monitoring and Reporting taskpad.

This is after I did the following this evening.

Installation of Exchange Service Pack 2;
          Installation fo SBS Server Service Pack 1;
          Installation of Outlook Web Access Administration software;
          Installation of Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser;
          Installation of Update for Intelligent Messaging Filter;
          Performed Windows Updates.

Must be something to do with one of these service packs as store.exe wasn't hogging memory before. Is there a setting somewhere I can adjust the max amount of ram the store.exe process is able to consume.

Thanks

Comment

768Mb RAM is not very much these days (forget MS minimums). You really need to be thinking of adding more RAM say at least 1 Gig though I rarely spec an SBS server less than 2Gb now.
            Even though you may still get the warnings, but because of the dynamic memory management by Exchange they are not usuallly a cause for concern as has been pointed out in the KB above.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi,

The high memory usage seems to have subsided although I am monitoring. In the end I think it had something to do with the mail store running online defragments constantly. In the event logs a defrag would finish and shortly thereafter a new one would begin?.

In the end I dismounted and remounted the mail store, rebooted the computer, was just about to reinstall Exchange Sr2 again when I noticed the store.exe memory usage drop.

Quite bazaar and not a definative solution however if someone else experiences this problem in Exchange 2003 I would suggest the above.

Thanks,

LG

Comment

Working...
              X