No announcement yet.

Restoring mailbox from offline database

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring mailbox from offline database

I recently installed a fresh installation of SBS 2003 on what used to be SBS 2000.
    I backed everything up including the Mailboxes using the Exmerge utility.
    After the fresh install I used Exmerge to import the pst's into the mailboxes.
    After reading the article on the hebrew problem I did as told and most of the mailboxes where successfully copied.
    A few mailboxes weren't successfully copied (Giberish instead of hebrew), and After I examined the PST's I noticed that it is Giberished there as well. Meaning the Export using Exmerge was not successful.
    I want to try and get these specific mailboxes from my backed up SBS2000 exchange database.
    Is it possible to retrieve a specific mailbox from an offline database?
    If so how can I do it?
    If not, can you offer an alternative?

Thanks in advance,
    Assaf Golan
    Magma engineering.

Re: Restoring mailbox from offline database

Contact me off-line at Cellcom 2894955 and I can offer you a solution

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: Restoring mailbox from offline database

Thanks for the help...
      I tried using the Recovery storage group with the offline backup files.
      I did it using Q824126
      Because I installed a fresh copy of the SBS2003 and created all the users from scratch, the users have a different msExchMailboxGUID.
      This means that I cannot use the Exmerge utility to export the mailboxes into pst's because the Exmerge identifies the mailboxes with the users on the active directory using the msExchMailboxGUID. I receive an error running the Exmerge saying the msExchMailboxGUID does not match.
      I was thinking maybe I could temporarily change the msExchMailboxGUID of the specific users I try to restore to the msExchMailboxGUID in the old store (Using ADSI Edit), but I can't trace the msExchMailboxGUID from inside the old store.
      Exmerge creates a log file containing the msExchMailboxGUID but it's not in an identified data type so I can't use it.
      Are you familiar with a way to get this info from the storage? Is it possible to manipulate that property in order to "trick" Exmerge as I sugessted?

Assaf Golan
      Magma Engineering