No announcement yet.

Ideas Please on Remote Working

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas Please on Remote Working

Looking for some ideas please. We are running SBS 2003 and need for up to 4 workers at a time to be able to access databases on the server from outside the office. Unfortunately SBS 2003 doesn't support TS apart for admin (as we all know). Don't want to put in a new server to be honest, but am out of ideas. Am I missing something obvious?

Re: Ideas Please on Remote Working

You should have remote web workplace enabled by default, so users can work on their own desktop PCs via a terminal session.
    Alternativly, you should be able to set up a VPN connection to the server (may need to mess with port forwarding on your router) and map remotely to the server drives.

You havent said what format the databases are in, but SQL server should allow remote working. With Access, drive mapping will take care of everything.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Ideas Please on Remote Working

Your choices are:
      1 as stated use Remote Web Workplace to access workstations in the LAN which are not in use from remote
      2 install a second server and configure it as a Terminal server/Citrix server
      3 Use remote workstations attached to the LAN via VPN but NOT if it is an Access or other non-client/server database - the performance over the LAN will be awful.
      NOt sure if I've missed anything but those are the usual SBS options if you do not want to host anything external to your site.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.