SBS 2003 and R2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2003 and R2

I just want to make this community aware that in the coming months Microsoft will release a product called Small Business Server 2003 R2.
    Now, SBS 2003 R2 is a GREAT product for every small business. However, I believe confusion will be created in the marketplace, because we will all relate to its big brother product, Windows Server 2003 R2.
    Let me state here, there are NO Windows Server R2 enhancements in SBS R2. They are mostly enterprise and branch office enhancements, and since SBS is intended for the simple one site deployment, none of the enhancements are really relevant.
    I am not saying there are not deployments of SBS that couldn't benefit from some of the features provided by big server R2, but what I am saying is that Microsoft have decided they are so few as not worth the effort of coding - rather spend the devlopment time and money on a new Longhorn/Vista server version.
    In conlusion, for an organisation that has an old NT server, or a peer to peer network (or even an SBS2000 server) that needs upgrading, then SBS 2003 R2 is a great product. For those on SBS2003 (and you should be on SP1 already), you can get almost the same functionality by adding SP2 to Exchange and deploying WSUS for patch management.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Re: SBS 2003 and R2

Follow-up to above:

For those on Premium Version, SBS R2 will include SQL2005 Workgroup Edition, but more importantly, if you want/need to deploy ANOTHER SQL or Exchange on a second server, you have some licensing benefits. You must still buy additions W2K3 and SQL/Exchange SERVER software, but the CALS will now be covered by the SBS CALS under R2.
    I don't want to get too much into licensing, but there may well be a break even point if you have to buy x SQL CALS for your second server. So you may want to deploy SBS 2003 R2 Premium instead.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Re: SBS 2003 and R2

Thanks for sharing Steven!
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
      X