Windows 2000 domain and SBS 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 domain and SBS 2003

I have a 2000 domain server. I need at this point to have SQL Server so I bought a new server with sbs 2003. The idea was the 2000 dc rule the entire network controlling the logins and user accounts, having sbs2003 as a subordinate server. I've joined the domain in the new server but I start getting 1013 error from SBCore service 5 days ago. I've seen that SBS need to have a domain controller, now the problem is how to do that taking into account that both old and new servers have applications running and I need the 2 domains. And I must keep both.

Please give me any ideas to solve this.

Thanks in advance

Re: Windows 2000 domain and SBS 2003

You have fallen foul of the SBS conditions:
    The following conditions must be true after you install the new SBS 2003 computer in an existing domain or the new SBS 2003 computer may display warnings and shut down periodically:ē The new SBS 2003 computer must be a domain controller that is installed on the root of the domain.
    ē The new SBS 2003 computer must hold all the Flexible Single Master Operation (FSMO) roles.
    ē The new SBS 2003 computer must be a global catalog server and must be the licensing server.
    ē There must not be any existing domain trusts or child domains.
    ē Only one SBS server can exist on the domain. If SBS 2003 is installed, no other SBS 2003 or 2000 server can be installed on the same domain.
    Taken from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884453/en-us How to install Small Business Server 2003 in an existing Active Directory domain
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

You will have to reinstall the SBS to summarise:
      Run adprep on the 2000 server to prepare teh AD schema for 2003
      Install CD1 from the SBS media, you will make it a Windows 2003 server.
      Install DNS and do DCPromo to join existing domain on 2003
      Make 2003 a GC and capture FSMO roles
      Continue integrated setup to complete SBS 2003.

Both servers (DC's) will handle login if needed. There is no longer the PDC/BDC concept that existed with NT4
      Last edited by teiger; 5th March 2006, 12:25.
      TIA

sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

From what you've said, both servers will continue to work and handle the user accounts, ie, the way people login will maintain as well as the access to shared resources ? I have an administrator's console on the old one related to the logins, updating the workstation client anti-virus as well as several applications on the server. Is there any change on this or it will stay the same?

By the way, will this bring any kind of problem related to the connection between them ? Imagine I want to access the new server from the old one or vice versa - is this possible?

Thank you Steven for your explanation.

Comment

Have you joined the SBS to the existing domain as a member server? It is not clear from what you say if SBS is a DC in the same domain as the 2000 server. In any case, the SBSCore service will start to shut down your SBS server every hour unless you comply with the conditions I indicated above.
          TIA

sigpic

Comment

Hello, Steven.

I followed the steps on MS KB884453 and I change the DC to 2003, keeping both servers as domain controllers in replication mode. The SBS 2003 became GC and capture FSMO roles.

The only problem I'm having is about CAL licensing. The Windows 2000 Server had 15 CAL and the new SBS 2003 was acquired with 20 CAL (per user). I promoted SBS 2003 as the licensing site. Event Viewer sends me to the Licensing on Control Panel which tells me to use the Wizard to Add CAL license. I don't have this option at least at start menu and its dependencies and I manage to see the licensing only in 2000 Server. Do you have any clue on this ? Must I install this wizard as adittional Windows component on SBS ? Should I turn 2000 Server back as the licensing site ? If so how can I define the additional licenses for SBS as BackOffice ?

I'd like to thank you for your information which were of crucial importance on this matter.

Comment

Working...
            X