Will 2k3 take over 2k?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will 2k3 take over 2k?

Hiya all just found this site and so far am loving it ! Well I ahve a few questions here if anyone would be so kind as to help me out with some info....

1.) I have a Win2k AD network right now , couple DC's , some web and some file /print servers.... I have a copy of Windows 2k3 SBS Premium and was wondering if I try to install the 2k3 will it demand to take over my 2k domain and make me upgrade the domain to 2k3? I dont want the domain at 2k3 yet... but I want to have exchange 2k3 running on this new 2k3 SBS server.... any info would be helpful .

2.) Second question is on my Win2K DC's the NTFRS ( file rep serv.) is every so often ( random periods) stops releasing memory and ends up bringing down the DC ... is this a known prob and if so how do i fix it... couldnt find any info on it ...

Thanks in advance !

Re: Will 2k3 take over 2k?

Originally posted by conos
    1.) I have a Win2k AD network right now , couple DC's , some web and some file /print servers.... I have a copy of Windows 2k3 SBS Premium and was wondering if I try to install the 2k3 will it demand to take over my 2k domain and make me upgrade the domain to 2k3? I dont want the domain at 2k3 yet... but I want to have exchange 2k3 running on this new 2k3 SBS server.... any info would be helpful.
    SBS will TRY to take over - it doesn't like to be a member server and won't function with other DCs (you'll get a lot of replication errors and services failing on the SBS box and on the other DCs). Just as a rule, if you have more than one DC don't install SBS. Also, the version of Exchange that comes with SBS is entirely different than the stand-alone product. It has some nice admin features but it is crimpled in other ways.

You can always take a server offline and install SBS 2K3 if you want to test it, but then again SBS isn't a good representation of the full version of 2K3. It has a lot of quirks and is overall quite different.

Installing the full version of 2K3 will do what you described. It won't take over, it will work as a DC in conjunction with other W2K boxes by default. Also, if at a later date you want to upgrade the other boxes you can upgrade the domain and forest functional levels from the default of 2K to 2K3 (after upgrading the schema and domain masters).

One other thing to keep in mind is that when upgrading you can't install SBS as an upgrade unless you're upgrading SBS 2K. To go from 2K Server to SBS is a downgrade. If you want to upgrade you have to make sure that you're moving from a similar version of 2K to 2K3, ie. Server to Server, Adv. Server to Enterprise, etc.

The installer may indicate that an upgrade is possible but further into the process it will force you to choose a clean install or cancel if the versions don't match - keep that in mind.

Originally posted by conos
    2.) Second question is on my Win2K DC's the NTFRS ( file rep serv.) is every so often ( random periods) stops releasing memory and ends up bringing down the DC ... is this a known prob and if so how do i fix it... couldnt find any info on it ...
    I've never heard of this being an issue but that doesn't mean someone else hasn't. Perhaps they will chime in with a response. I recommend that you install all the current OS patches just in case it was fixed in a previous version but not documented (it happens).
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

All the current service packs are on the Win2K box as well as the security and other criticla updates. I have not Installed the .Net framework on the 2k Dc's and would rather not unless that will fix the NTFRS problem ... Microsoft has a number of issues noted with NTFRS taking up tons of processor time and not releasing it but none for it taking up lots of memory..

Thanks for the info on SBS never used it before and got a free copy so was gonna play with it but will do so on a isolated hub with just it and some test boxes to play....

Comment

Working...
      X