SBS 2008 DHCP Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 DHCP Issue

Hi, We are having a intermittent issue with our server restarting, it is an old machine so take about 15mins to restart. It is currently our AD, DHCP, DNS Server, I need to move the DHCP to our router to keep the clients internet connection alive while the server restarts until I can find out why the server is restarting. The issue I have is as soon as I enable DHCP on the router and disable the DHCP scope on the server, the clients are having extremely long log in times and network shares not working. Is there anything I can do?

Re: SBS 2008 DHCP Issue

1. Moving the DHCP server to the router isn't gong to allow the clients to connect to the internet when the server is down. Clients don't need the DHCP server to connect to the internet, they need the DNS server.

2. DHCP clients don't lose their ip addresses when the server goes down. As long as the ip address lease is valid the clients will continue to use the leased ip address whether the server is running or not. There are two phases of a DHCP client renewing it's ip address lease; the renewal phase and the rebinding phase. It's only during the rebinding phase where the clienst might lose their ip address if the server is down, which doesn't seem like a likely scenario.

So again, the problem is not that the DHCP server is down, the problem is that the DNS server is down.

Have a read here about the DHCP lease cycle:

http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_DHC...locationRe.htm

Comment

Added to what Joe said, SBS requires that it is the DHCP server. You could easily get more unexpected behaviour by changing this.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

SBS doesn't "work" unless it is the DHCP server and the DNS. You could add the router as a secondary DNS for Internet access whilst the server is down. However, when the SBS comes back up, you would probably have to reboot the workstations to rehome their DNS to the SBS, once it's running.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
        X