sbs 2k3 vs server 2k3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sbs 2k3 vs server 2k3

In a question a while ago someone asked if SBS 2k3 was "functionally 100% the same" as Server 2k3. Someone answered that of course it has the limitations of users, trusts, etc etc as stated by Microsoft.

I would like to know if - other than the stated MS limitations - there is anything functionally different within the engine of the bundled product, vs installing all the full products on one server.

... is it a Microsoft Works vs Microsoft Office type scenario, or is it really JUST that there are the stated limitations?

Some of my colleagues claim they have encountered "wierd behaviour" on SBS that they have attributed to it being different under the hood (under the bonnet) in some way.

Any opinions out there?

Re: sbs 2k3 vs server 2k3

I will wait for the SBS experts to answer but from what I know it's exactly the same engine, plus a few add-ons, minus a few restrictions.

Some settings are easier to manage than Win2003 + Ex2003 bundle, some are harder or are more prone to strange behavior if configured not "exactly" as Microsoft meant them to be done (i.e. through wizards and so on).

Overall, he who knows Win2003 + Ex2003 will find SBS2003 to work "almost" in the same manner, but I cannot say that one that deals "only" with Win2003 + Ex2003 and has never installed an SBS2003 server will find his life made easier. This is the way I see it. Whenever I get a job that requires the installation or configuration of SBS I usually hand it to one of my coworkers. I prefer working with what I know best, and not have to figure out why some setting doesn't work the way it should or why some change only has to be done via a wizard if you really want it to work.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by danielp; 1st February 2006, 09:01.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

thanks for the reply - glad to hear I'm not the only one who's vague on this!

So for small nonprofit US clients who can basically get full versions of all the server products for cheap, I will continue to recommend the full version rather than the SBS bundle... just because... unless anyone thinks there is a major management benefit to small organizaitons in having SBS.

Any other thoughts on that from folks?
      Last edited by JennyC; 1st February 2006, 21:46.

Comment

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying SBS sucks. I just answered your question about the differences. SBS is a good option for small businesses.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Point taken

OK: so is there an "ease of use" / "ease of management" benefit from the SBS wizards and integration, that might make SBS a *better* match for small organizations (say those without in-house support who won't hit the SBS limits)? or does SBS's benefit just boil down to cost?

sorry if I'm laboring the point! But given cost is not an issue for US nonprofits I want to know if/when I ought to recommend SBS over the full scale products in small single server environments.

I appreciate your input.

Comment

As Daniel has stated, SBS is a really good bundle for the small business who probably only need one server and need some other functionality like fax server or a ready made Intranet (WSS based).
            For the Non-profit I would add that SBS is useful , like many small businesses, when there is no on-site IT staff, Then getting a daily report in the e-mail about whether the backup has run, whether the disk space is running out and many other parameters is useful for the part-time staff, or consultant to keep up to date with what is going on. Something which also keeps the cost down to the NFP.
            And to the original question - SBS is Windows Server 2003 ( with SP1) with the following limitations:
            SBS has to be the first DC in a single domain/forest in AD (hold all FSMO rules)
            It cannot have trust relations with other domains (but you CAN have additional DCs)
            It cannot have more than 75 users/devices connected to it.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

thanks for your input.
              Good to know that there are some helpful additions to SBS.

Comment

Working...
              X