Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Policy Won't 'Save'

Morning all,

I've been looking at a clients SBS2011 server now for about 4 hours and have got no where, I'm trying to add some PC's to a group policy scope. I find them listed in AD, I select them, I 'Check Names' and then its added to the scope. You can refresh the view and everything is as expected. If you now close group policy manager and reopen it, the PC I just added to the scope has gone again...?

No errors logged in event viewer except the usual 'Kernal-Event Tracing' everything else is working fine, I just desperately need to add some PC's to a group policy objects scope....?

Any ideas, am I being really dumb....?

Thanks

Dave

Re: Group Policy Won't 'Save'

Depends on what the policy is. If you're trying to add PCs directly to default SBS GPOs then I've seen this before, I think it's by design particularly with WSUS policies.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Ah, yes it is, it's the 'Update Services Client Computer Policy' they only have 5 PC's listed in there but have 38 in the office joined to the domain.... Not sure what's gone wrong, is there any way I can get around this?

Thanks

Dave

EDIT:
      WSUS matches GP exactly in terms of the PC's listed. WSUS works perfectly with the PC's that are listed.
      Last edited by QuattroDave; 12th December 2014, 13:52. Reason: Additional info

Comment

I have seen that before, can't remember how I fixed it though. First thing to check is that all of your computers are in the right OU in AD I.e. the SBS Computers one and not the default Computers container. This happens if computers are joined to the domain without using the Connect website.
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

One of the first things I checked, yes all client PC's are listed in AD under:

DOMAIN > MyBusiness > Computers > SBSComputers

If you have any ideas please let me know this is driving me crazy.....

Thanks

Dave

EDIT:

I've been looking at this remotely this morning and its getting even more confusing.
          The 4 servers (1 x SBS, 2 x DB & 1 x storage) are listed under scope of GP 'Update Services Server Computers Policy' No problem all work & update fine.
          Out of the 38 PC's only 5 are listed under scope of GP 'Update Services Client Computers Policy'. 001, 002, 013 & 014 are always listed and update fine.

The 5th PC is currently 023 but 5 mins ago was 019 and before that 036, do a refresh, its now changed to 017..... eh?!
          If I look in GP Management or WSUS there is always 9 machines listed in total (4 servers & 5 workstations), 1 of them randomly changes. How is it randomly changing...? and why 9 machines??
          Last edited by QuattroDave; 13th December 2014, 10:16. Reason: Addition info:

Comment

Just a thought - how many installed SBS CALs does your server show?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Just a thought - how many installed SBS CALs does your server show?
              Won't show any IIRC - after SBS 2003 and it's tendency to spontaneously lose all CALs and lock everyone out they removed the need to install them in 2008/11.
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

That GPO is controlled by the SBS management service. Use the SBS console to add or remote computers for the update groups.

EDIT: No. 1 rule for SBS - do everything that you can with the console and wizards.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                  That GPO is controlled by the SBS management service. Use the SBS console to add or remote computers for the update groups.

EDIT: No. 1 rule for SBS - do everything that you can with the console and wizards.
                  I understand you and agree with what your saying, but I can't find anywhere in the SBS console to add PC's to the update groups...

Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard Console > Security > Updates > Change the software update settings.

This allows me to move them between groups but not add PC's to a group....

Many thanks

Dave

Comment

Do the computers show in the SBS console? (Network-> Computers)
                    If not then you need to put them in the proper OU.
                    More info: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archi...s-console.aspx
                    Last edited by JeremyW; 17th December 2014, 13:23.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                      Do the computers show in the SBS console? (Network-> Computers)
                      Thanks for your reply, yes all PC's show properly in the SBS Console > Network > Computers. Security status show fine for all PC's but update status does not, not really surprising seeing as they aren't listed in WSUS...

Comment

Well all computers in the console should be showing in the Included section.
                        SBS Console -> Security -> Updates -> Change the software update settings -> Included Computers
                        Are you trying to use custom names for your WSUS groups?
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi Jeremy,

Ahhh I think we may be on to something here, I see the computers that are listed OK but I don't see the ones that are not. No not trying to use custom WSUS names, I know better than that with SBS

Any idea how I would add PC's back into 'Excluded'?

Many thanks

Dave

Comment

The computers that you want to configure are not showing in the screenshot above but the do show up in the network tab of the SBS console, correct?

Hmm... not sure what's going on. If they show up in the computer section then they should be available to configure in Software Updates section.
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your reply. You are correct.

After a lot of messing around the guy that installed the PC's eventually confessed that he imaged them all. As a test yesterday I edited the registry on one of the PC's

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\WindowsUpdate
                              and deleted 'SusClientID'

Restarted the PC and with in 20 mins it was showing correctly in WSUS Console & SBS Console!! I'll give it a day or two then do another PC just to test if that works OK then I'll do all the PC's....

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Dave
                              Last edited by QuattroDave; 5th January 2015, 10:24.

Comment

Working...
                              X