WSUS Keeps crashing - SBS 2008/Standard FE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS Keeps crashing - SBS 2008/Standard FE

I have a system running Server standard FE.
    Its actually part of a terminal server solution so there are only two computers in the network - that one, and a terminal server running server 2008 standard.

There is a problem in that the C drive is running out of space, and upon investigation I have found that the WSUS folder is around 28GB in size, which is about 10% of the total drive size.

Looking into it further, I found that the SUSDB database file itself is 26GB in size.

I have been trying to research ways in which to lower the size of this file, but the only options I could find are running the cleanup wizard in WSUS console, and then running the shrink database option in SQL.

The problem is every time I run the cleanup wizard, it runs for several hours, then crashes WSUS console - I get a prompt to reset the node, then I can run the cleanup again, after doing this a few times, it crashes and I can no longer connect to WSUS console without a reboot of the entire server.

When I look in SQL management studio and select teh shrink DB option, it says there is only around 1GB free space that it can be shrunk by, which would leave it at 25GB.

Is there any other way to shrink the size of this database?
    David Silvester
    Systems Administrator

Re: WSUS Keeps crashing - SBS 2008/Standard FE

David, do you have the option of moving WSUS to a different partition or HDD? Also, 28GB sounds very small for WSUS updates.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      David, do you have the option of moving WSUS to a different partition or HDD? Also, 28GB sounds very small for WSUS updates.
      28GB is not the updates themselves - I have already changed the settings so that updates are not stored locally, its just the DB file size, is that still small?

The option to move the database, if the above is normal then yes it will be an option, the only issue is that the systems are on managed hosting so space comes at a premium. For that reason I just wanted to explore other options first.
      David Silvester
      Systems Administrator

Comment

Can't remember the DB size of the last WSUS that I setup but the Contents were 160GB. I also NEVER put an WSUS onto a C partition due to its tendency to over indulge itself (like me and Hokey Pokey ice cream ).

I thought THIS was interesting and might be worth a look. It may help reduce you DB size.

Don't know what you are using for the DB but I will guess it is the Internal option. If it is then the following link may be of interest.
        WSUS 3.0 : Connecting, Managing and Moving SUSDB as Internal Database

At THIS link have a look at What to Check, the 3rd paragraph, Download Files Only When Updates are Approved and see if that helps.

HowTo: WSUS Cleanup Ė Shrink a WSUS database (susdb) to almost zero

[The faster we respond David, the more we get paid] Click image for larger version

Name:	rotfl.gif
Views:	26
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	466924
        Last edited by biggles77; 14th November 2014, 12:08.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Have you run the Move WSUS wizard (since you are using SBS)?
          What about the WSUS cleanup then a db Shrink?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Biggles77

Thanks for the info, ok by the sounds of it my situation isn't abnormal then, although it is strange that the WSUS console continuously crashes and becomes unresponsive.

Ossian

I have tried the cleanup but it continuously crashes out.
            I have not tried the Move WSUS wizard yet mainly because I dont have anywhere to move it to.

Having said that, based on everyones comments, I think that is the sensible option, so I will arrange for some addtional storage, and then move WSUS to it.

Ill report back with result.
            Thanks guys.
            David Silvester
            Systems Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by davids355 View Post

Thanks for the info, ok by the sounds of it my situation isn't abnormal then, although it is strange that the WSUS console continuously crashes and becomes unresponsive.
              Far from abnormal, it's almost expected behavior in WSUS running under SBS IME.

From what you said though, you've changed the default WSUS settings so it doesn't keep the updates locally. IIRC that might be the issue, or at least part of it, as SBS throws it's toys out of the pram if WSUS isn't exactly as it likes. Might be worth running the SBS BPA and seeing what it says.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                Far from abnormal, it's almost expected behavior in WSUS running under SBS IME.

From what you said though, you've changed the default WSUS settings so it doesn't keep the updates locally. IIRC that might be the issue, or at least part of it, as SBS throws it's toys out of the pram if WSUS isn't exactly as it likes. Might be worth running the SBS BPA and seeing what it says.
                Thats a fair point.
                I am trying the cleanup tool now, but only ticking one box at a time, maybe that will work, if not then Ill go for getting an additional drive and moving the DB over to that.
                David Silvester
                Systems Administrator

Comment

If you manage to shrink the DB down, I would be interested in how small it gets.

Thanks David.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'll post back here when I have an update.
                    David Silvester
                    Systems Administrator

Comment

Tip: if you have never successfully run the WSUS cleanup wizard before, as you say it may run for hours. So uncheck all the options to cleanup then re-check only one. If that runs successfully, repeat for the next item, one at a time. Wash and repeat!
                      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                      http://www.wintra.co.il/
                      sigpic
                      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Also (not just on SBS) WSUS may error on you "connection failed" or similar so keep running the cleanup until it finally completes.

Reindexing the database (see http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ScriptCenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61/) may help
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                        X