SBS2011 - 200r2 and Exchange 2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2011 - 200r2 and Exchange 2010

We are changing from SBS2011 to 2008r2 and Exchange 2010.
    So far I've joined the new server to the domain and made it a DC but left the FSMO roles on the SBS box.
    Exchange 2010 is installed and all the mailboxes have been transferred across as have OWA and Outlook anywhere.

The question I have is at the moment the workstations still show the are looking at the sbs box, when I uninstall exchange from the sbs box will the workstations automatically update with the new server name?

Also to test the new server can I transfer the FSMO roles and just down the SBS box to check everything works and if it does then dcpromo it?

Many thanks

Re: SBS2011 - 200r2 and Exchange 2010

Originally posted by m3trackboy View Post
    The question I have is at the moment the workstations still show the are looking at the sbs box, when I uninstall exchange from the sbs box will the workstations automatically update with the new server name?
    This is due to how client access behaves in 2010. You have a few options.
    1. Run the repair in Outlook on each client
    2. Push out a PRF http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...ice.14%29.aspx
    3. Uninstall the old Exchange server one night and then point the old Exchange server DNS to the new server.

Since this is SBS you would have to uninstall Exchange and then DC Promo it all in one fell swoop.

Originally posted by m3trackboy View Post
    Also to test the new server can I transfer the FSMO roles and just down the SBS box to check everything works and if it does then dcpromo it?
    You can do this without issue once you resolve the clients pointing to the old Exchange server.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Re: SBS2011 - 200r2 and Exchange 2010

Many thanks Jeremy

Comment

Working...
      X