No announcement yet.

SBS2011 backup / sharepoint

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS2011 backup / sharepoint

The SharePoint installation on our SBS2011 is not working, it's not a problem as we don't use it. But it seems to be causing the backup to fail.

The backup fails after about a minute with a Volume Shadow Copy Service error 0x800423f4

As I don't like broken software I tried to reinstall SharePoint but following the MS article "reinstall SharePoint Foundation 2010" it doesn't fully clean the old databases out, and subsequently fails.

What I want to achieve is a working full server backup.
    Is there any way of doing this with SharePoint being broken?
    The event log seems to be full of VSS Writer errors 8229 and MSSQL errors 18210 at the time the backup was started.

Re: SBS2011 backup / sharepoint

Think about uninstalling SharePoint and deleting the SQL server instance?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: SBS2011 backup / sharepoint

Hi Tom

I uninstalled SharePoint but in SQL management studio I could delete SharePoint configuration database but the sharewebdb and wss_search instances had an exclamation mark by them and suspect. I couldn't delete them.

When I reinstalled SP it made the new configuration DB but then said there was no admin database did I want to create it and then failed and bought me back to create admin database failed and so on. So I'm sure there's still old SharePoint databases in there, as I said we don't use SharePoint so if you can point me on how to delete them and remake them would be great

Many thanks