Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 to new hardware for backup purposes

Hello and thanks for reading,

We use SBS2008 at the office (no Exchange) and I'd like to move it to a different and more powerful hardware. I've just received a second hand HP Proliant DL380 G5 with better processors, more RAM, etc. This is the unique server at the office and I'd like to have a spare on for backup just in case of a disaster.

My idea is to backup the present server to the new hardware, and use it as our main server, but keep the present one to have the minimum downtime in the case of failure.

I plan to restore the present server (HP DL160 G5) to the new hardware and replace it. Then I'll keep the present one as the backup server in the case of failure.

Do you believe this is a good idea?, or can you advise me with a better approach?.

Thanks a lot,

Jud

Re: SBS 2008 to new hardware for backup purposes

If you aren't using Exchange I'd just use both servers. One runs SBS, the second one can be a DC/GC as well and replicate your file shares using DFS.

There are options such as DoubleTake or Hyper-V replica that will allow failover but they cost - you'd need 2 copies of Server 2012 and then you'd have to migrate SBS to a VM as well.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

IMHO look at virtualising the SBS (using the free Windows 2012 HyperV edition on the host) - IIRC you can then have replication of the VM between two hosts so a failover simply becomes a case of firing up the other copy - see http://blogs.technet.com/b/yungchou/...explained.aspx

Edit - saw Cruachans post and generally agree with it - the HyperV server approach would save you a "proper" server license though
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks a lot cruachan and Ossian,

I never used virtualization for servers ...

So Ossian if I understood it well you recommend to take the new server, install the free Windows 2012 HyperV edition, create two VMs and restore my SBS 2008 in both VMs, I'll use one at a time, and if it fails, I'll just fire up the other one?. It sounds very well to me, but the problem will come if the server hardware fails.

cruachan first option is to install Windows Server 2008 in the new server, add it to the SBS domain, use it as a second DC (for redundancy), replicate files shares with DFS... My question would be, is the SBS fails, I guess I'll have to configure the rest of services provided by SBS (DNS, DHCP, etc.)?

We have around 25 clients in the network with only this one SBS.

Cheers,

Jud

Comment

Actually convert your physical disks to VHDs and create a single virtual machine from them, then set up replication as per the link I posted

Once replication is set up, it runs every 5 mins (IIRC) so if one physical host fails, you will not have lost very much data.

Regarding Cruachans option, yes, but set up DNS and DHCP (split scope) on the second server as well, so pretty much immediate failover

Look at Server 2008R2 for the new server, not 2008
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Thanks a lot for the information!

I believe I'll go for the Cruachans first option as I already have the hardware and I don't know much about virtualization.

Have a great day both,

Jud

Comment

Hi again,

I was thinking about this soloution and I guess this is not exactly what I wanted.

Adding the Windows 2008R2 server to the network will give me a good backup, but the original idea were to move the SBS installation to a new and more powerful server.

I'll proceed this way:

1. Restore my SBS (server #1) to the new hardware (server #2)
              2. Switch off server #1 and replace it with server #2 to keep working as usual
              3. Install Windows 2008R2 in the server #1
              4. Join it to the domain as second DC, replicate file shares, etc.

This way I'll get my present situation with the new server, and I'll use the present server as the failover server.

Do you find it right?

Thank you so much,

Jud

Comment

you need to make sure your HALs are the asme between the DL160 and the DL380 - these are fairly different hardware families..
                they are the same generation server at least, which is a start.
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi again,

I just wanted to post the resolution of this thread.

I ended up restoring the SBS2008 from the HP DL 160 G5 to the HP DL380 G5, and everything went well. I had to manually install a couple of drivers and also disable all (4) network interface cards but 1.

In case of disaster, I take the backup server, restore the data files and I'm ready to go.

I'll swap them from time to time to install Windows updates.

Thanks a lot for your help and have a great day!

Jud

Comment

Working...
                  X