Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New internet domain

Hello

Posting not because of a problem I have right now, but one I'd like to avoid if possible.

A customer has SBS 2011 and so far (as usual) rock solid. However I have been informed that they will be changing their business name and subsequently their internet domain to something new.

I am just wondering that when the the time comes to change internet domain, is it just a matter of running the "Set up your internet address" wizard again with the new domain? Will existing email addresses (and mailboxes) happily migrate to the new address?

Re: New internet domain

As always with SBS, UTFW* where you can
    This will take the new domain and change accounts etc to use it.

Problems will arise if they want to still receive emails on the old domain, in which case using normal Exchange 2010 admin tools to create an accepted domain and an address policy will be needed:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archi...e-domains.aspx

*Use the Friendly** Wizard

**alternatives are available
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hey Ossian

Cheers for your friendly reply

If I'm reading your reply correctly, are you saying (gulp), that it could actually be that easy? I was waiting to hear some convoluted solution, especially with getting mailboxes to play nice with the new domain name.

Comment

I normally use the "add accepted domain" approach which, together with an address policy, takes about 15 mins to do, then wait for the users to update with the new addresses. No hassles and the process is outlined in the link I posted.

Discuss with customer - do they want to:
        a) Receive from both addresses, reply from old (just add policy)
        b) Receive from both, reply from new (Need to set new domain as default as well)
        c) drop old addresses completely (UTFW)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Also - if the internal name is oldcompany.local and the new company is called brandnew.local - that is not easily changed.

Management will probably ask "why do I still logon to oldcompany.local? Can you just change that?"
          Regards,

Lee

Comment

you cannot change an SBS domain name.
            It's just how it is..

you CAN change domain names for non-sbs domains, and it's actually not as hard/scary as you think, but apparently for SBS, everything i've ever seen says you just can't
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              you cannot change an SBS domain name.
              It's just how it is..

you CAN change domain names for non-sbs domains, and it's actually not as hard/scary as you think, but apparently for SBS, everything i've ever seen says you just can't
              As tehcamel says, you can't with SBS. You CAN, provided that Exchange isn't in the mix, with full Windows. Some versions of Exchange will let you change it, some will break catastrophically. Can't remember the exact versions off the top of my head though. I'd leave well alone, when the time comes to move away from SBS is the time to think about such changes seeing as there will not be a new version.

ADDING a new internet domain is as straightforward as stated, and for coexistence you're going to want to keep the old one around for a good while anyway until all of your customers get the new email addresses. The other thing to watch out for is the OWA/RWW URLs - if you change those then you'll start locking people out due to certificate issues. If you are using a trusted third party certificate then I'd leave well alone until the certificate is due for renewal and only add a new accepted domain in Exchange.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                create an accepted domain and an address policy will be needed
                Hi Ossian

Getting close to 0 hour and I've been reading the blog you've linked and I have some questions if I may?

If 5 current users who have email addresses of [email protected], want to also receive mail at [email protected], do I have to create a new Custom OU as it mentions in the blog or would I just nominate the existing Users/SBSUsers OU? (ref Step 2 of "Creating the Email Address Policy")

Comment

Just the current users OU
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Working...
                  X