Running Out of Disk Space

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Out of Disk Space

I installed SBS 2011 about 10 weeks ago with a 200GB C drive partition and D: 750GB data partition. My exchange data, SQl data and user data is all on the D: Drive

This week mail stopped being delivered to the mailserver, it was being refused and sent to the ISP mailbox as a fallback. AT first I thought it was QOS on the internet connection however when I tried to download via the Pop3 downloader I could see some errors in the pop3 log as follows

421 4.3.2 service not available exchange 2010

This suggested disk space issues.

Since I had 600GB of space on my D: drive I could not see how this could be a problem, however my C: drive only had about 100MB of 200GB of space. I managed to clear 20Gb by disabling shadow copy.

Email seems to be ok for now

Why does low space on the C: Drive prevent Ex2010 working ?
    Is 180GB used space too much for a standard SBS 2011 install or is there more files to delete?

J

Re: Running Out of Disk Space

Exchange 2010 has "backpressure" which will slow down and then stop it as system resource usage gets too high

180Gb is FAR too much for an SBS install!

The most likely cause is Exchange log files - by default in C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange (a few subdirectories down). They are retained until Exchange is properly backed up, then deleted.

Two possible solutions (if this is the cause):
    1) move Exchange databases to your D drive (use the wizard in the SBS console
    2) Enable circular logging on Exchange so only a few log files are used.

Both have risks - (1) that the log files will continue growing and fill the bigger D drive and (2) that disaster recovery will certainly lose data.

Your full solution is to make sure you are using an "Exchange Aware" backup product which advises Exchange the database is backed up so Exchange can clear out the log files.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

The exchange databases are already on the D: Drive

I'll take a look the folder you suggested for the logs

I do have an exchange aware backup, I'll check with the vendor.

J

Comment

OK, check the C drive and find which folder is consuming the bulk of the space, and report back

Exchange is the usual culprit, but you appear to have ruled it out
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi, for checking where all the disk space is been used I can highly recommend using treesize.
          http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/
          The exe file from this can be copied and ran on a server/workstation with out installing it.
          A good tool in anyones arsenal.
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the info, I downloaded Treeview and discovered that my SQL backup was writing to my C: Drive and not overwriting previous backups

Great tool

Comment

Well done, and thanks for posting back
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

The other disk space eater to watch is the WSUS database and contents.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                X