Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are there any policies preventing a 3rd party VPN to get DNS lookups?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are there any policies preventing a 3rd party VPN to get DNS lookups?

i'm trying to get a 3rd party VPN working thru my firewall, it uses openVPN and I have no issue getting a client to connect...and I can ping IP addresses in the lan. When I select the option for DNS to travel between the client and the LAN I get no name resolution.

Now I understand the 3rd party firewall with openVPN has nothing todo with windows but is my understanding of SBS 2008 is limited at best...hence why we use SBS 2008.

Is there any rule/policy that prevents a different subtended PC (thru the VPN) to not be able to get DNS resolution to my DNS servers? Everyone on the firewall forum says it should be working but they have limited or no desire to guess if there are rules preventing this.

Here is the NSLOOKUP message from the client to the LAN.
    Attached Files

Re: are there any policies preventing a 3rd party VPN to get DNS lookups?

The problem is probably because it's trying to query the IPv6 address which is global address. Probably your ISP's DNS server.

Your VPN needs to specify the internal DNS for connecting clients.
    A web search for your specific implementation might be necessary but thing should get you started: http://www.bing.com/search?FORM=U217...+configure+DNS
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Re: are there any policies preventing a 3rd party VPN to get DNS lookups?

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      The problem is probably because it's trying to query the IPv6 address which is global address. Probably your ISP's DNS server.

Your VPN needs to specify the internal DNS for connecting clients.
      A web search for your specific implementation might be necessary but thing should get you started: http://www.bing.com/search?FORM=U217...+configure+DNS
      Thanks. I got some reluctant help from the 3rd party vendor. They try to say its not their issue but they set this up day and night...so they did in fact no.

Sounds like there are no policies with SBS to complicate the setup.

Comment

Working...
      X