SBS 2011 and disabled WSUS crashing console

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2011 and disabled WSUS crashing console

I run several clients with SBS2011, and WSUS eats up disk space and cpu cycles that it doesn't need, plus all of my clients have unlimited bandwidth, so we really don't need it.

I took the following steps to disable WSUS:

1. I changed the update settings to NONE for clients and servers in the console

2. I disabled the "specify intranet setting" in the GPO and then disabled all three GPOS that had to do with "update services"

3. I stopped the "update services" service

4. I stopped and disabled the "windows internal database" service (since it only has SUSDB in that instance)

5. I removed the SUSDB database and log file and deleted everything in WsusContent (but I left the actual folder structure intact)

Everything works as I want it now with the server and all workstations looking to the internet for updates, but once I start the SBS Console, it will usually crash within a couple of minutes, and while this doesn't actually "hurt" anything, it's annoying

What can I do to ultimately leave WSUS disabled but make the SBS console stable?

Re: SBS 2011 and disabled WSUS crashing console

Originally posted by lkeltner View Post
    I run several clients with SBS2011, and WSUS eats up disk space and cpu cycles that it doesn't need, plus all of my clients have unlimited bandwidth, so we really don't need it.
    bandwidth is not the only reason to run wsus.

the steps you're taking are completely breaking SBS. It's designed to have wsus working.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I didn't say it was, it's primarily the disk usage over time and the additional management needed to clean up the updates and things that we just don't really need to be doing.

I recognize that it is breaking the console, and would like to know a method that I can have the minimum stuff for WSUS in place so that SBS is happy, but not have it download any updates and allow the client machines to get them straight from the internet.

Comment

There is a WSUS setting (somewhere in options on the WSUS console) to download updates direct from MS - this should suit your requirements
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

or you could set it to never synchronise.

Ossian's suggestion of having clients to straight to Microsoft to download updates wouldn't meet your need of minimal management - you'd still need to approve the patches.

So, since you want to create an environment that doesn't require central management of patches (relying on users to patch their own computers) here's what you should need to do:

- edit group policy so that it doesn't look at the wsus server any more.
          - ensure that policy is applying on the client computers
          - turn of synchronisation.

should be it.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X