Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing GPO's on SBS2011, smart or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing GPO's on SBS2011, smart or not?

Hi,

I have just installed my new SBS2011 server and I don't like the default GPO's.

The folder redirection needs to go to another server, so I disabled the default folder redirection GPO and created a new one.
    This way, I can always go back to the original GPO.

I want different settings for update services, but I see that they are linked to each computer account.
    I do not want to change the security filtering of certain GPO's every time I add or remove a computer, the wizards are much better in that, so creating my own policies may not be ideal.
    What's left is changing the default GPO's ... but is that smart, can that break things in the wizards?

Who has any ideas on how to do this?
    Tips and tricks are welcome.
    Regards,
    SnijdeA.

Re: Changing GPO's on SBS2011, smart or not?

Folder redirection shouldn't be an issue, although I don't think you'll be able to enable/disable it via the SBS console if the policies aren't at the defaults. Never actually tried it though.

WSUS is a funny one on SBS. If you change any of the settings in the GPO the SBS console won't allow you to manage settings, and will probably show "Unavailable" as the status. The SBS BPA will also report warnings/errors for non-default WSUS settings. It won't (AFAIK) break anything within SBS though.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

So what if you do not agree with what the wizards put in the policies?
      Hmm.
      Will try to just create my own and set enforced and see what happens.

Edit:
      This works fine
      Last edited by SnijdeA; 22nd March 2014, 16:58.
      Regards,
      SnijdeA.

Comment

As a rule, I try not to change the default SBS group policies in groupt policy manager. At most, I un-link them and then link in new ones I have created. But sometimes, rules are made to be broken....
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
          As a rule, I try not to change the default SBS group policies in groupt policy manager. At most, I un-link them and then link in new ones I have created. But sometimes, rules are made to be broken....
          What about the Default Domain Policy?
          I want the password policy different from standard.
          Regards,
          SnijdeA.

Comment

Working...
          X