Upgrade Paths from SBS 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Paths from SBS 2003

I am new to the board. I have a new customer that has 1 Server running SBS 2003 and they have never utilized any Exchange on the Server.

They want to move to a new server and after 8 - 10 years of not running Exchange, they want to start using Exchange.

What are my options to move them into the year 2014. I'm not sure that sticking with SBS is the way to go since Microsoft stopped SBS in 2011. Any suggestions to move them would be appreciated. I know Jeff Middleton has his migration website, but since Microsoft isn't going to be moving forward with SBS, I think that moving them over to a new domain with one or more standard servers and/or virtualization may be the way to go.

Re: Upgrade Paths from SBS 2003

Originally posted by KennyRay View Post
    I am new to the board. I have a new customer that has 1 Server running SBS 2003 and they have never utilized any Exchange on the Server.

They want to move to a new server and after 8 - 10 years of not running Exchange, they want to start using Exchange.

What are my options to move them into the year 2014. I'm not sure that sticking with SBS is the way to go since Microsoft stopped SBS in 2011. Any suggestions to move them would be appreciated. I know Jeff Middleton has his migration website, but since Microsoft isn't going to be moving forward with SBS, I think that moving them over to a new domain with one or more standard servers and/or virtualization may be the way to go.
    Have a read at this

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...um=winserverDS

IMO there shouldn't be that much of a difference, I haven't used SBS in a production environment.

Comment

If they have no need for Exchange, I would go straight to 2012R2 (virtualised) and consider a new domain if the number of users/clients is not too large.

With a 2012R2 Standard license, I believe they get two "free" VMs on the host, so scope for expansion, and ease of migration to new hardware if needed. The new domain is a no-brainer (IMHO) since they have up to 11 years of baggage (old GPOs etc) which can be reviewed and dropped.

If they need Exchange now, either go hosted (with consequent security risks) or (again IMHO) SBS 2011 is still a viable product and can be sourced from fleaBay etc if needed. (I have some SBS 2003 clients who require in-house email and I am just now moving them to SBS 2011)
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i know i can still buy hp servers with sbs2011 included. same distributor also has sbs OEM 2011 cds
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
        X