Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data drive access dennied

Hi All
    I am new here so please be gentle. I have just built an sbs2008 server for a customer and had to install their existing raid5 drives from a dead sbs2003 server.
    I have a problem where I am unable to access the d: drive. In my computer the drive letter appears and local drive, but no usage or free space data is shown.

I can see the volume in storage management and all looks ok.

I can also create folder shares on the d: drive.

In storage management I can see the volume has a letter ( D: ) and the space used/free. But am unable to browse the drive.

Inside the shares I can see the data.

If I try to open the drive I get access denied.

Any help appreciated.

LJ

Re: Data drive access dennied

If the drive came from a different server, you may need to seize control of the contents before you see anything

Go to the advanced security properties of the drive, ownership tab and give the administrators group control over the drive and contents
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply I will try that. Just running a backup of the volume, Which to my supprise is working.

Comment

Originally posted by ljcomp View Post
        Thanks for the quick reply I will try that. Just running a backup of the volume, Which to my supprise is working.
        is it actually working though, or does it just seem to be ? test your backup once it's done to be sure..
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Right enough there, backup was about 30% complete with errors.

Tested recovering files from backup drive which verified so I formatted the volume and recovered from backup. Result, I now have a working server.

Completed the job today, then the customer tells me he has no product key. So we got 60 days to buy a product key

Anyone point me to the cheapest solution / supplier?

Now browsing ebay etc.

Comment

product key for Windows ?
            ahh.. sbs 2008.. i'd be surprised if you can buy that anywhere now.
            You can only buy Volume Licence for SBS 2011.. even that, I'm not sure..
            Last edited by tehcamel; 17th February 2014, 01:15.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by ljcomp View Post
              Completed the job today, then the customer tells me he has no product key. So we got 60 days to buy a product key
              Oh dear, the 7 P's strike again

Basically, for an old product, ebay is a good start, or speak very nicely to Microsoft and ask about downgrade rights (they won't, but at least you asked...)
              There are dealers who sell old licenses, so worth hunting around. I used to know a couple, but cannot find them.
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Buying SBS is RIP since 1st January this year - even then it was only OEM since last July. Even so, it was SBS 2011, so why are you installing SBS 2008 anyway?
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                X