cannot connect to sbs 2011 via remote desktop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannot connect to sbs 2011 via remote desktop

I have a sbs 2011 server and I am trying to configure remote desktop access, but its not working!! Auurrgh!

Heres what I have done so far:

1.Enable remote desktop on server
    In control panel>system>remote settings I have selected:
    "Allow connections from computers running any version of remote desktop".

2.check servers local firewall:
    In control panel>firewall allow a program or feature through the firewall, I have ticked remote desktop for domain, home and public.

3.Check that server is listening on port 3389
    I ran this command to check for listening on 3389:

Code:
    netstat -a | find "3389"
    I got this result:

Code:
    TCP    0.0.0.0:3389           LONDON:0               LISTENING
    TCP    [::]:3389              LONDON:0               LISTENING
    4.Check for additional firewalls:
    We have AVG but firewall component is not installed.

5.Configure router:
    I have configured a custom port in the router (BT Business hub) - 3389, I have assigned that port to the local IP of the server (a static IP) - I also have other services assigned to the same IP - port 25 for example.

6.I have tested from this site:
    http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/

It shows port 25 as responding, but it shows port 3389 as not responding.

I have also tried connecting via another computer on the local network, and that also fails - it just times out.

What am I missing?
    David Silvester
    Systems Administrator

Re: cannot connect to sbs 2011 via remote desktop

Did you add the necessary accounts to the Remote Desktop Users group? By default, only those with local admin rights have the ability to use RDP.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertmax View Post
      Did you add the necessary accounts to the Remote Desktop Users group? By default, only those with local admin rights have the ability to use RDP.
      The account I am using to access the server is the domain admin account.
      When I checked "Allow connections from computers running any version of remote desktop", the box for users says administrator already has access.
      David Silvester
      Systems Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by davids355 View Post
        The account I am using to access the server is the domain admin account.
        When I checked "Allow connections from computers running any version of remote desktop", the box for users says administrator already has access.
        OK, just making sure. Microsoft likes to throw us these little curve balls, such as when they changed default share permissions from Everyone-Full Access to Everyone-Read-Only. Best to weed out the simplest solutions early. Will give it more thought.

Comment

Thanks.
          its very strange, I just tried again to connect from a local network computer - I can ping the DNS name of the server and it resolves fine.
          I try to connect via remote desktop and it just times out and says the usual:
          either the server is turned off, network not available, or not responding.

I have two hunches -
          1.Its something to do with the fact that the server has two network adaptors - but the unused one is disabled?
          2.it has something to do with ipv6.

are either of those possible culprits?
          David Silvester
          Systems Administrator

Comment

Pretty sure it's not the extra NIC. I've run RDP services on servers with disabled superfluous NICs before and never had this problem.

IPv6 is a different animal altogether; I have very little experience working with it. You could always disable IPv6 temporarily to find out.

The first thing I would do is eliminate components, such as turning off Windows Firewall completely to see if that has any effect. If not, turn it back on, disable AVG and try again.

As far as the router goes, I'm afraid I can't help you there. I know nothing about routers and could only suggest that maybe it has a problem with static routes for two different ports to the same IP. That's just a shot in the dark, though.

Hope this helps.

Comment

stupid question (please forgive me!) but the sBS server DOES have a correct /valid gateway, correct ?
              and can access the internet?

in theory, SBS remote access should work out of the box as long as firewall ports are opened
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

IIRC with SBS2011, you should be careful about disabling IPv6 as Exchange assumes it

(this is from memory and may well be wrong)
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

correct.
                  Definitely leave IPv6 alone.
                  Otherwise, the server takes ages to boot - DC and Exchange don't come up properly, and it's just shit.

Of course, when an engineer who performed work earlier in the day tells you "it's just patches, it's supposed to take a while to reboot"
                  you know they are an idiot.
                  You know that even more so, when you say "IPv6 was disabled, who did this ?" and you can correlate the trail specifically to them and they say "oh, i don't know"
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Can someone please shoot me in the face...
                    David Silvester
                    Systems Administrator

Comment

It turns out that when I originally configured remote desktop, i restricted the scope to several IPs in the firewall (for security)!!

Boy do I feel like an idiot! Sorry guys
                      David Silvester
                      Systems Administrator

Comment

no need to feel stupid

Comment

Originally posted by davids355 View Post
                          Can someone please shoot me in the face...
                          Certainly.
                          Any particular calibre or weapon (I prefer the 15" Mk I)?

You aren't the first to have done something a little bit silly , nor will you be the last
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                            Certainly.
                            Any particular calibre or weapon (I prefer the 15" Mk I)?

You aren't the first to have done something a little bit silly , nor will you be the last
                            you could probably shoot me out of that one!
                            David Silvester
                            Systems Administrator

Comment

Sometimes the simplest solutions evade even the smartest people. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just make the correction and move on. Nobody who reads these boards is immune to blunders. Welcome to the human race.

Comment

Working...
                              X