Problem with slow server login and remote access

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with slow server login and remote access

I have a problem on sbs 2011 with very slow login after reboot - it hangs at "please wait for the user profile service) for around 6 minutes (doesn't sound long, but its a Quad Xeon with 32GB of ram and a brand new install!).

This causes a problem for our remote access software (logmein central) as it seems to time out before it gets logged in).

If I go on site and log in, then remote access via logmein works fine until the server is rebooted again.

The thing that makes me think that there is a networking problem is because we have remote desktop enabled on the server, but it doesnt work - it doesnt work locally or remotely - even though port is open in router (3389).

I'm guessing, but starting to wonder if it could be something to do with IPv6 interfering?
    David Silvester
    Systems Administrator

Re: Problem with slow server login and remote access

Have you checked the event logs to see what's hanging it up?

Coupla things to try:

1. Enable asynchronous GPO processing (Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy). This sets it to where it doesn't have to run all the startup policies before providing the user the ability to log in. Policies will continue to be processed in the background during logon.

2. If it's not GPO hanging you up, try deleting the local user profile in case something about it is flaky.

Comment

make sure it's fully patched (I have a vague memory of a client's SBS server doing this, it may even be a known issue..)

also look at your disk infrastrucute..

whatever you do, don't mess with ipv6 -it's absolutely essential/.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

After I removed almost everything off the desktop, it worked fine. So i think that was the cause, unless some updates went on that I didnt realise.
        David Silvester
        Systems Administrator

Comment

Have you, by any chance, disabled IPv6 on the server?
          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
          http://www.wintra.co.il/
          sigpic
          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
            Have you, by any chance, disabled IPv6 on the server?
            No I haven't. I think both problems are resolved now though - remote access was my fault (firewall block/scope restriction) and slow logon i think was actually that I had roaming profiles enabled, and too much stuff on the desktop!! (Whoops).

Dave
            David Silvester
            Systems Administrator

Comment

Working...
            X