X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I disable/delete WSUS database?

I have a very large database file in this location:
    C:\WSUS\SUSDB\UpdateServicesDbFiles

It's around 6gb. We only have two systems on this network - sbs 2011 which this file resides on, and 2008 standard running as a terminal server.

We have an issue with the sbs box as the C drive only has 5gb free space.
    We are planning to put in an additional drive and move the exchange database (40gb) onto it, but this is a reasonably big job, so as a short term fix I would like to remove this WSUS database.

Is this easily done?
    David Silvester
    Systems Administrator

Re: Can I disable/delete WSUS database?

Yes, you can, by removing the WSUS role from the server. The SBS console won't be happy, but that is often the case

I would investigate if WSUS also has about 40Gb of downloads - if so, change it to not store updates locally, delete the downloads, but keep WSUS operational.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Yes, you can, by removing the WSUS role from the server. The SBS console won't be happy, but that is often the case

I would investigate if WSUS also has about 40Gb of downloads - if so, change it to not store updates locally, delete the downloads, but keep WSUS operational.
      Thanks.
      Investigating the downloads sounds interesting, that would be a less disruptive solution by the sounds of it.
      David Silvester
      Systems Administrator

Comment

Yup - look in the WSUS directory (C:\WSUS by default)
        If you find them, go into WSUS options, then Update Files and Languages, select the Do not store locally option, then delete the content

Also in SBS you can use wizards to move most things to another drive, so adding additional storage and moving stuff may be a cleaner option
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

C:\wsus, I'm sure that's where the two DB files were located, and I didn't see anything else in there, so maybe I already changed that setting.

Ah, if I can move location of the DB from sbs console that will be even better. We have a data drive with a fair bit of space available.
          David Silvester
          Systems Administrator

Comment

The term can of worms comes to mind.
            I checked SBS console and there is a WSUS error:

Code:
            update services is not properly installed. the following file or one of its dependancies is missing:
            microsoft.updateservices.administration,version=3.1.6001.1, culture=neutral, publickeytoken=31bf3856ad364e35
            Think I may prefer now to just remove the role - can I do that from server manager?
            Are there any other implications to consider?
            David Silvester
            Systems Administrator

Comment

UPDATE:
              I started goggling, and I ended up moving the WSUS database using this guide:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archi...partition.aspx

That seems to have worked, and its solved my immediate problem (Not enough space on C to do any shadow copies, and I THINK that was causing backups to fail).

Next I am going to follow this guide (Once I am able to complete a backup first) to try and repair WSUS:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../gg680316.aspx

Thanks a lot for your help.
              David Silvester
              Systems Administrator

Comment

You can also start the WSUS admin console and under options you will find a Server Cleanup Wizard. There are a number of check marks there which help you clean up your database and reduce the footprint on your disks.
                For at least the first time that you run this wizard, i would suggest you untick all the boxes and run them one at a time. Even that can take quite a while. Then run this wizard on a regular basis.
                TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                http://www.wintra.co.il/
                sigpic
                Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                X