Server Build Requirement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Build Requirement

Currently I have a site that is 6 pcs. They have always used workgroup based setup but now have reached the point of moving to a server based environment. As usual, they don't want to spend up big.
    This is my issue. One of the core requirements they have is to run a server based app (that uses SQL Server R2) via Terminal Services (Remote Desktop). I would like to put in a small SBS box but I have always assumed I should not run Terminal Services from a domain controller. As with such a small operation, I would like to run the components of SBS, machine backups, etc. but don't know what the best way forward is in this regard. Maybe, I could run EXSI and virtualise SBS 2011 and Server 2008 R2 as a member server for Remote Desktop. I would really appreciate some help here. I just want to get this right.
    thanks

Re: Server Build Requirement

You can virtualise SBS - consider using HyperV Server as an alternative to ESX - but the problem may be getting hold of the SBS OS - MS have discontinued it, but it is available from some resellers or ebay. Do you need all the SBS components as 2012 Essentials may be an available option if you don't want Exchange?

Agree TS on a DC is poor practice, and risky, so your solution looks OK
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have never used Hyper-V as yet. Wondering if it is free, like ESXi?
      Thinking about it, it looks like these are my possible solutions:
      1/ SBS 2012 Essentials and Server 2008
      2/ 2 virtuals of Server 2008.

The client isn't going to go with this unless I can get it into a low cost solution.
      At the moment looking at a HP Microserver, that's why I was looking at ESXi.

As noted, 1 Box, DC/AD/DNS/DHCP/File&Print, 2nd box SQL/Remote Desktop.

Your thoughts?

thanks

Comment

HyperV Server is free (http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmaye...x#.Uo9ODWZFC5g)

I would hunt around for SBS 2011 with Premium Add-on which IIRC gave you an extra 2008R2 license for e.g. SQL server

It does still appear to be for sale e.g. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bu...dress&tbm=shop
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Is there any reason I should be looking at SBS 2011, and not SBS 2012? Happy to move forward if need be. Can you run SBS 2012 Essentials with a member server? (ie. 2008R2)?

Comment

There isn't an "SBS 2012"
            SBS 2011 gives you:
            Server
            Exchange
            SharePoint
            Management Wizards
            all in one package, for up to 75 users

Server 2012 Essentials gives you some of the above (no Exchange, for example)

IMHO, despite being based on the 2008R2 OS, SBS 2011 is still a "sweet spot" in the MS product range
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

The site is not running Exchange, all accounts are hosted externally.
              Less of a hassle for a small business.

Is this correct, just clarifying, SBS 2011 Premium Add-In comes with the standard SBS license and an additional server 2008 standard license, or do you have to purchase SBS 2011 Essentials and also the Add-In?

I suppose then, I could run both on Hyper V server, DC as one box (DNS/AD/DHCP/File & Print), and Server 2008 running SQL and Remote Desktop services.

thanks for the opportunity to talk, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X