No announcement yet.

SBS 2008 to 2011 migration

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2008 to 2011 migration

Hi all
    I'm about to run a migration from SBS 2008 to SBS 2011 and I'm reading through the migration notes.

I'm told that the IP range should be 192.168.0.x (or 192.168.1.x) and of course mine is currently 10.0.0.x with a subnet mask

Will it fail?

I can renumber the network, it just means bringing in the phone guys to change their kit and the CCTV guys to change their kit all at the same time to minimise downtime.

Any suggestions, good or bad, I'd like to hear them.

Re: SBS 2008 to 2011 migration

IIRC SBS prefers the 192.168 network but will work with others without problems - have certainly set up new ones to fit existing networking, and would expect the migration to be the same
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Any time I've done a migration the pre-requisite check fails if you have a routable subnet in use or if your subnet mask is not /24, so you pass on both counts.

I've done migrations on 10.x.x.x and 172.16.x.x subnets and so long as the mask is it's fine. I can kind of see the logic in it given the 75 user limit in SBS.

Just a heads up from my own experience though, I'd give the phone and CCTV guys a call anyway and let them know what you are doing just in case. I've seen phone systems getting DHCP from SBS with horrible Mitel option strings in them, and IME the SBS migration doesn't bring them across. You may also have kit using the old server as a DNS server that needs reconfigured.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      Cruachan's Blog

Thanks to you both for giving me the confidence to progress to the next stage without changing the range, so far, so good.

I was around when the phones went in originally and I recall the horrible Mitel strings. I have made a note so I can replicate if needed.

Thanks again