2 servers on one line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 servers on one line

i am setting up a new server to run in a company that already has a server etc, they have the router partitioned so it is running two completely independent networks, but my question is, how do i route my emails to my server, as they will all be coming in on port 25.

is it possible for my ISP to forward my mails on a different port, and i port forward at the router ??

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Re: 2 servers on one line

The best option would be if
    a) the router supports multiple public IPs
    b) your ISP gives you multiple public IPs
    c) you associate each IP with a different subnet
    Without knowing the ISP and the make/model of router, there is no definitive answer

If SMTP email only comes from the ISP's mail server (i.e. they forward everything to you) there is no technical reason you cannot get emails on e.g. port 26, but if emails are delivered direct to your public IP address that won't work as all mail servers expect to operate on port 25
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thats my problem, they already get their mails on 25, so i was wondering if it is possible to get my isp to change the port for my mails, if so, i can then get them sent on another port, and forward that to my server in the router.

Comment

Where does the public MX record for the second mail server resolve to?
        If it is to your public IP, there is nothing you can do as you would have to ask every single mail server on the internet to use a different port to talk to you.
        If it is a mail server run by your ISP, who then forward it to you, you could possibly negotiate a different port (if the ISP are nice)

I would look at the multiple IP address option as many routers are capable of handling several public IPs
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Mails will be arriving from lots of mail servers, and there's nothing you or your ISP can do to make them all use a different port number. The port number is not part of the MX record.

You have the following options:
          1. Have all mail delivered to an external server, for instance one located at your ISP. You could then either fetch the mail from that server using POP3 or some other protocol, or have the ISP configure it to relay it to your server using a different port.
          2. Configure the existing server to receive and forward mails for your domain(s).
          3. Ask the ISP for a routed subnet and assign a different, public IP address to the new server.
          4. Place a mail server (relay) in front of the existing mail server and have it forward mail to different servers based on the domain name.

2 and 3 are both good solutions and easy to implement, but 2 requires cooperation from the admin of the existing server.

Comment

this actually seems like a good opportunity for mimecast or GFIMail Essentials.

All your mail gets delivered to the mimecast servers, then mimecast is configured to connect to your mailserver. i would assume that you can ask mimecast to make the connection via a different port.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
            X