Domain controller with 2 member servers - How to rebuild DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain controller with 2 member servers - How to rebuild DC

Hi there, I have had an issue where I need to rebuild the primary DC which is SBS 2011. However, I need to ensure that the member servers (Server 2008 SQL) will continue to work.

Ideally I would like to reformat and reinstall the operating system and then just restore the AD on the Primary DC from a system state backup.

How could I do this. There is so much information on the web it is hard to find out exactly what needs to be done.
    Please advise,

Thank you

Re: Domain controller with 2 member servers - How to rebuild DC

Will need checking for SBS (Exchange and suchlike come into it), but the general advice would be to promote a member server to a DC on a temporary basis, let replication occur, then rebuild the DC and join to the domain. Alternatively you could build up a spare DC (physical or virtual) on more or less any spare hardware.

If you just rebuild the SBS, the domain name may be the same but SIDs will be different, so the member servers will need to be rejoined to the new domain and have security re-set-up.

Look at www.sbsmigration.com for the toolkit to do a proper "swing migration" - the cost (about $200) is more than compensated by the time saved in doing the migration.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Domain controller with 2 member servers - How to rebuild DC

What Ossian has given you is the general method for replacing a DC (without Exchange). You need to reinstall SBS2K11 and the best method by far is the swing method from sbsmigration.com.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
      X