Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Files gets replaced with and old version almost immediatly??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Files gets replaced with and old version almost immediatly??

Morning guys,

I was passed what I though was an easy one earlier, SBS 2003 server RDP console failed to run, I checked the mstsc.exe & mstscax.dll files and the version number didn't match so I replaced both files with correct versions and tested, all worked perfectly.

10 mins later I was told it didn't work again, checked the version numbers, they were different again, replaced the files again then ran mstsc.exe worked perfectly, closed the app, checked the version number it had changed again....

WTF?!? What keeps replacing the file with an older version??, I've disabled volume shadow copies & AV and within about 15 seconds of replacing the file with the correct version the old version takes its place...???

Thanks

Dave

Re: Files gets replaced with and old version almost immediatly??

Have you tried this, first overwrite the files in the WFP cache ("%windir%\system32\dllcache") with the correct version and then replace the actual files in the system32 folder.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814597

If Windows File Protection is not running, then maybe a third party protection tools is doing something similar. Then you can try replacing the files when Windows is started in Safe mode.

/Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Re: Files gets replaced with and old version almost immediatly??

Hi Rems,

Thanks for your reply, it gave me food for thought, after a bit of hunting I found it was replacing the files with the files located in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
      Replaced those ones first then replaced the others and all back to normal now...

Many thanks

Dave

Comment

Working...
      X