DNS Warning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Warning

Hi everyone. Glad to have found this forum. I seem to be having an issue with my dns server, but i don't know where to start troubleshooting. Just a bit of background, our sbs2011 box is acting as the dhcp, dc, dns and ad. We are using root hints and disabled dns forwarders. I am getting what looks to be like a triangular caution sign.

Any troubleshooting tips will be appreciated.

thanks,
    Chris

Re: DNS Warning

Why have you disabled DNS forwarders? You normally have your ISPs DNS servers in there.
    Regards,

Lee

Comment

Hi,

i have renabled them. Also on the interfaces tab i have enabled listen on all ips. This seems to resolve the simple query issue, but the recursive query is still not working.

thanks

Comment

My usual starter for 10, run the SBS BPA and fix any issues. Also try running the Fix My Network Wizard.

No reason at all why you need to have forwarders, Windows will work fine using root hints only so long as you have the MaxCacheTTL reg key set (which the SBS BPA will flag up if it is not).

Where are you seeing the caution sign? If possible can you post a screenshot?
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
          My usual starter for 10, run the SBS BPA and fix any issues. Also try running the Fix My Network Wizard.

No reason at all why you need to have forwarders, Windows will work fine using root hints only so long as you have the MaxCacheTTL reg key set (which the SBS BPA will flag up if it is not).

Where are you seeing the caution sign? If possible can you post a screenshot?
          Here is a screenshot

Comment

sorry about the lack of image in my previous post

they say that I need to post five times before I can link to an external image

Thanks for the help.
            Chris

Comment

fifth post

Comment

and now I should be allowed to post the img.

here is a link to the img http://imgur.com/6wfW07V
                Thanks for the help.
                Chris
                Last edited by cfell; 21st September 2013, 15:24. Reason: no image in the last post.

Comment

Does your Gateway/Firewall allow access to the Internet correctly? Do the stations resolve DNS queries to the Internet correctly? Try "nslookup" from a command prompt to see if names resolve correctly.
                  As has already been mentioned (I think) try runing the BPA.
                  TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                  http://www.wintra.co.il/
                  sigpic
                  Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

what about my enabling listen on all in the interface tab of the dns? this seemed to resolve the simple query, but not the recursive query test. Is it considered good practice to listen on all ips?
                    I used nslookup on google and got

Non-authoritative answer:
                    Name: google.com
                    Addresses: 2607:f8b0:4009:804::1008
                    Also, BPA did mention the lack of a MaxCacheTTL reg key set , which i will deal with.
                    thanks

Comment

i misunderstood what was meant by the nslookup info. I just used the tool from my desktop when attached to the domain and got the following after typing in just: nslookup and the corporate url

dns request timed out
                      timeout was 2 seconds

dns request timed out
                      timeout was 2 seconds

request to corporateurl timed-out

Comment

okay, set the MaxCacheTTL and that seemed to remedy the warning sign.

thanks everyone,
                        Chris

Comment

Do all computers (server(s) and workstations) point to the SBS for DNS?
                          If not, fix it!
                          TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                          http://www.wintra.co.il/
                          sigpic
                          Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
                          X