Simple SBS 2003 network fails internet connectivity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple SBS 2003 network fails internet connectivity

So, my first post. I recently posted an issue over at Tom's Hardware, which is solved. That was about internal connectivity, client to server and vice versa. This site has an issue so similar to mine though,I decided to post here with this one.
    Linky: tomshardware /forum/id-1784903/clients-lost-connectivity-server-solved (.html)

The problem now is internet connectivity. I have been reading (link below) about RRAS and NAT and configured them at least to allow internal connections again, with 2x NIC connected. Thanks to Ace Fekay for his highlight that router must connect directly to server NIC (public one), NOT to switch.
    petri .co.il /forums/showthread.php?t=56390

I tried other settings for that, found here speedguide .net /articles /internet-connection-sharing-169

LAN (internal interface) worked fine, but I couldn't get outside with either server or clients, ping to IP or url.

Now, I'm trying the simple solution, found here (best answer): answers .yahoo. com/ question/ index?qid=20090525140815AAGeLM5

Basically I unplugged the public network card, plugged router back into switch, and went through the SBS create internet connection wizard (accessed through Server Management To Do List) putting in those settings. To be honest, from the text file Windows kindly generated listing the changes to be made, it looked suspiciously like the settings I already configured.

The catch: the config wizard finished making the changes, but clients and server still cannot connect. Server can ping to external IP (4.2.2.2, 8.8.4.4) but tracert to those addresses fails at first hop. Clients cannot ping external addresses, nor can they tracert (I just add this for completeness).

I do get a lot of EventID 5775 and 5781 happening, in case that helps anyone...

Thanks guys for your help on this one!
    Last edited by jfgoodhew1; 20th September 2013, 13:42.

Re: Simple SBS 2003 network fails internet connectivity

Does this SBS have one NIC or 2? Re-run the connect to Internet (CEICW) Wizard. Make sure that workstations are pointing to the correct gateway (1 NIC=router, 2 NICs=SBS) and that allstations are pointing to the SBS as DNS.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the extra questions and hints.

SBS has 2 NICs, I tried the 2NIC config, didn't work. Now trying the "simple" 1NIC way. Clients pointed to SBS for DNS (SBS is the DC, DNS Server, etc.). SBS pointed to itself for DNS, but DNS module was set to forward to router (ISP special from Huawei) and also the 2 DNS server IPs the router points to. Clients did point to router as gateway.

I did try switching client to point to SBS as gateway also, but no joy.

Will run the wizard again, thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Don't forward DNS to router. POint it at ISP's DNS or leave it blank and use root hints.
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi, I checked the settings again, and took out the router from DNS forwarders list.
          Clients point to SBS for DNS, router for gateway.
          SBS points to itself (by IP, rather than 127.0.0.1 loopback) for DNS, and router for gateway. DNS forwarders are only ISP forwarders.

Internet still not working. Ping out still working.

Ran the wizard again.
          Internet still not working. Ping out still working.

Thanks so much for your help so far! Is there something else I can try?

Comment

Working...
          X