SBS 2k11

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2k11

Hi folks, got a performance issue with a 2k11 sbs server that has been put in. Got a user who opens a 10mb excel file on the network which also loads data from a 60mb excel file in same location.

When he opens the file it takes around 5 mins to open, if he puts the file on his desktop it opens fine. Network card is set to auto for speed. Clients are xp with office 2003.

Any ideas.

Re: SBS 2k11

I've just found a microsoft fix, will give this a bash.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2570623

Comment

Ok that patch isnt going to fix it, user advised today its all sorts of files from office to pdf's etc. The nic is set to auto, its on a gigabit switch, any thoughts.

Thanks

Comment

I have tried going onto the server and copying file from there to the pc and its takes around 25 sec, if I do it the other way around, go onto the client pc and then copy from the network drive to the pc it takes around 8 mins,

any ideas guys.

Comment

last post slightly wrong, its quick copying from client pc to server its lighting quick, 5-10 secs for 10mb file, if Im on client pc and access network drive and copy from there to pc it takes 2 mins.

Your thoughts

Comment

What AV software is on the client and the server?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Symantec is on server and clients, turned this off, at least I think I did (disabled auto protect) and didnt make a difference. At least I know its not a cabling issue or network card issue.

Comment

Uninstall - that is the only way to be sure

And for <deitys> sake consider getting proper AV software
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I agree with the proper av software comments but its not me who decides that, its the client. Still dont think its AV as it would be slow both ways and its not.

Comment

If its Symantec, uncheck the "Check Network Drives" option and see if the copy times improve.
                    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                    http://www.wintra.co.il/
                    sigpic
                    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Managed to get this resolved, 2 things had to be changed on network card in device manager, had to disable both tcp offloading and another offloading one which I cant remember. Both IP4, there are also IP6 versions if your running on that.

Comment

WTF?
                        There are updates that do that for you. There is a BPA which flags that for you. Have you run updates? Have you installed WSUS? Have you run BPA?
                        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
                        http://www.wintra.co.il/
                        sigpic
                        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

As far as I know the server was up to date,

Comment

Working...
                          X