BS2011 Insufficient disk space, with 180GB free

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS2011 Insufficient disk space, with 180GB free

SBS 2011. Many services refused to satrt, the SBS console will not start normally with the message:
    Disk space at C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Logs is under 5MB
    Disk space at C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Data is under 5MB

I cannot save any file on the Admin Desktop, i cannot install any software.
    It says insufficient disk space. But the free space on the disk is 180GB, used space is about 50GB. I need your assistance.

Re: BS2011 Insufficient disk space, with 180GB free

Are there any quotas applied (misapplied) that might cause it?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have checked on the Disk properties, there is no quota applied

Comment

Just to be clear, how many volumes do you have on the server and how much free space does the C: volume have?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Also I will add that the System Reserved partition has 70MB free out of 100MB. I have searched forum but no topic related to this disk space issue

on Disk 0 we have: The system Reserved partition (100MB, 70 MB free) and C:\ drive (230GB, 180GB free)
          Last edited by chad1; 5th September 2013, 14:54.

Comment

Can you create another domain admin and see you get the same issues?
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I will do that and I will let you know

Comment

I ran chkdsk /R /F and was able to get the problem away. But it reverted back after less than an hour.

Question: can I just repair the installation using the install DVD? waht are the risks?

Comment

Suggest you back everything up first, but a repair should not damage things

Did this suddenly start - if so, what has been changed?
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It happened after we created a shared folder with offline settings. We unshared and deleted the right after. At the next reboot, the problem started.

Comment

Being unable to find the reason why the disk was filling up, I decided to restored a previous backup. That got me out of the trouble (I missed some chages that were made by then, but no to bad).
                      however, my main concern now is to closely watch the System Reserved Partition which is filling up quickly.
                      How can I set System Reserved Partition to do Shadow copies elsewhere?

Comment

Disable shadow copies on it completely -- it contains boot/startup files only (http://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/hd...ved-partition/) so since it should not change, it should not need shadow copies.

In fact, it should not even have a drive letter....
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

ok. I will suspend the shadow copy on that partition. It does not have a drive letter.

I will believe that Shadow copy was enabled as part of the initial setup.

BTW, we can close this and mark it as solved (by restoring good backup and close monitoring of volume space on System Reserved Partition )

Thx
                          Last edited by chad1; 16th September 2013, 15:14.

Comment

Working...
                          X