Connecting two SBS servers together

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting two SBS servers together

I am planning on setting up a new SBS2011 server to replace my current server which is running SBS2003 but still need to access the application on the old server whilst being logged into the SBS2011 domain.

I know I can't run two SBS servers on the same domain, but can I setup them up on separate domains but on the same subnet and physical network or different subnets but again on the same physical network.

Is it possible to setup a one way trust so that the SBS2003 domain trusts the SBS2011 domain or will that cause conflicts? If not is there alternative solution that will achieve the same result.

Re: Connecting two SBS servers together

No trusts!
    (A "feature" of SBS)

No reason you can't keep the old server up (disable DHCP) and workstations should still have access to the application - what is it?

(not recommended, but I am doing something similar)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Windows AD domains aren't related to your physical network structure. You certainly could run both SBS servers on the same subnet. Just make sure that only the new SBS server is acting as the DHCP server for your clients.

Comment

You could start a migration. You have 21 days - or longer if you know how to disable the core timer.
        Regards,

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by LSainsbury View Post
          You could start a migration. You have 21 days - or longer if you know how to disable the core timer.
          You may find this is not part of the EULA and so makes that illegal.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X