No announcement yet.

SBS 2011, updates, SBS console or WSUS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS 2011, updates, SBS console or WSUS?

Trying to get updates rolled out to my clients from a new SBS 2011 server.
    I have synchronized from the SBS console, took a while, and still do not see any updates that I can approve and roll out.
    Should I use the WSUS console instead?
    I have read that certain changes in the WSUS console can break the connection with the SBS console.
    Can't seem to find anything online reagrding this.
    Regards,
    SnijdeA.

Re: SBS 2011, updates, SBS console or WSUS?

It is true that if you change certain settings in the WSUS console it will break the integration with the SBS console. Leaving things to the default in the WSUS console is best. (but there are plenty of instructions out there on how to fix it... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../gg680316.aspx)

Now as for not having any updates to approve, there's a few things at play here. WSUS could be automatically approving critical and security updates. Also, Computers need to connect to the WSUS server before it give you a list of any needed updates. If the computers connecting are fully patched there won't be anything to approve.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The server has not installed any updates, so he needs a lot.
      For servers I have set not to approve anything.

1 PC is Windows XP SP3 with a few updates missing.
      For clients I have set not to approve anything.

Bot computers connect as I can see them in included computers.

Still the SBS console does not display any available updates.
      Regards,
      SnijdeA.

Comment

Well I suggest running Windows Update manually, checking the Microsoft servers instead of the WSUS instance. Install all available SPs, Rollups, etc, for Windows Exchange, and SBS. Then run the SBSBPA and address any issues listed. Be sure to update the BPA if necessary. Links can be found here: http://www.sbslinks.com/sbsbpa.htm
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks, will try that.
          Regards,
          SnijdeA.

Comment

On the SBS server I have installed all updates from "Windows Update Website" except Internet Explorer 10.
            Then I went back to the security tab on the SBS console, did a sync and a refresh, and now, when I go to Windows Update and choose "Check for updates managed by your system administrator" I still get a list of updates to install.
            How is that possible?
            Regards,
            SnijdeA.

Comment

I have now installed all updates from the Microsoft servers and then from my own WSUS.
              An update scan from the Microsoft servers tells me there is Internet Explorer 10 waiting and the update scan on WSUS says I am up to date.
              Can anybody explain this?
              Regards,
              SnijdeA.

Comment

I have now installed all possible updates on a Windows 7 client and it says it's up to date.
                But when I go online and check updates, it gives me a few important updates.
                How can I be sure that WSUS gives me all updates if I have to do a double check?
                I am now not sure what to trust and what not.
                Regards,
                SnijdeA.

Comment

WSUS will only show you updates you have approved (or have been auto-approved). You need to do some active management to match the ones Microsoft Update show.

Suggest you look at the "extra" ones on MS Update and check the "unapproved updates" section in WSUS
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                    WSUS will only show you updates you have approved (or have been auto-approved). You need to do some active management to match the ones Microsoft Update show.

Suggest you look at the "extra" ones on MS Update and check the "unapproved updates" section in WSUS
                    Thanks, but I have now set the update level to high for both servers and workstations, so all should be auto approved.

Do you mean to look at WSUS or the SBS console?
                    I don't know what I can and can not do or change in WSUS as I don't want to break the link with the SBS console.
                    Regards,
                    SnijdeA.

Comment

You can certainly LOOK in WSUS without affecting SBS.

Have to say, I always use WSUS and ignore the SBS console update section
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                        You can certainly LOOK in WSUS without affecting SBS.

Have to say, I always use WSUS and ignore the SBS console update section
                        Thnx, yeah, looking is fine of course.

Anybody else that looks and/or approves in WSUS and not in SBS Console?
                        Regards,
                        SnijdeA.

Comment

On my SBS server I have installed all updates from the Microsoft servers and then from my own WSUS.
                          An update scan from the Microsoft servers tells me there is Internet Explorer 10 waiting and the update scan on WSUS says I am up to date.

I have installed all possible updates on a Windows 7 client (from my own WSUS) and it says it's up to date.
                          But when I go online and check updates, it gives me 7 important updates.

Plus ...
                          This is odd ... when I run the BPA, it tells me this:
                          Issue: The server is running the original release of Exchange Server 2010. However, Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2 (SP2) is now available.
                          Impact: Exchange Server 2010 Service SP2 offers improvements in server reliability and the user experience.
                          Resolution: You can download Exchange Server 2010 SP2 from the Microsoft Download Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=232843.

Well, why doesn't windows update give me that SP2?

This server is supposed to go into production this Saturday.
                          Last edited by SnijdeA; 31st July 2013, 20:36.
                          Regards,
                          SnijdeA.

Comment

Originally posted by SnijdeA View Post
                            On my SBS server I have installed all updates from the Microsoft servers and then from my own WSUS.
                            This is because you need to approve the update in the SBS or WSUS console before WSUS will deploy it to clients.

I have installed all possible updates on a Windows 7 client (from my own WSUS) and it says it's up to date.
                            But when I go online and check updates, it gives me 7 important updates.
                            Same answer as above, plus Tom has already explained this as well.

Plus ...
                            This is odd ... when I run the BPA, it tells me this:
                            Issue: The server is running the original release of Exchange Server 2010. However, Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2 (SP2) is now available.
                            Impact: Exchange Server 2010 Service SP2 offers improvements in server reliability and the user experience.
                            Resolution: You can download Exchange Server 2010 SP2 from the Microsoft Download Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=232843.

Well, why doesn't windows update give me that SP2?

This server is supposed to go into production this Saturday.
                            Exchange service packs are not distributed through Microsoft update. You need to manually download and install them.

As for using WSUS vs SBS console, you can use the WSUS console to make additional auto-approval rules without breaking anything as well as approving updates to install. As for the group and settings for WSUS, I would make only the changes allowed in the SBS Console so that the integration doesn't break and the reports still function properly.
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                              This is because you need to approve the update in the SBS or WSUS console before WSUS will deploy it to clients.
                              But I have set all to auto approve everything.

Exchange service packs are not distributed through Microsoft update. You need to manually download and install them.
                              Didn't know that.

As for using WSUS vs SBS console, you can use the WSUS console to make additional auto-approval rules without breaking anything as well as approving updates to install. As for the group and settings for WSUS, I would make only the changes allowed in the SBS Console so that the integration doesn't break and the reports still function properly.
                              Thanks.
                              Regards,
                              SnijdeA.

Comment

Working...
                              X