Backup SBS 2011 to multiple network locations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup SBS 2011 to multiple network locations

A new customer of mine wants an upgrade from his SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 and I am looking at how to do the backups.
    He has 2 external HD's, he can swap them at any time, so that is 1 solution, but not ideal.

I also want a backup to another PC or to a NAS.

After you set up the backup, it formats the target disk(s) and removes the driveletter(s).
    I have found that when I add the driveletter again and give myself permissions, I can see the backup files and I can copy them to any location on the network.

Is there a reason not to do this?
    Regards,
    SnijdeA.

Re: Backup SBS 2011 to multiple network locations

Not as far as I know, as long as future backups are not messed up.
    Alternatively you could backup to a UNC Path on your NAS (does not format) and then do a robocopy back to the HDD
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Not as far as I know, as long as future backups are not messed up.
      Alternatively you could backup to a UNC Path on your NAS (does not format) and then do a robocopy back to the HDD
      If I could schedule those, then that would be great.
      Regards,
      SnijdeA.

Comment

Script the copy (powershell or CMD), test it and then make a scheduled task.
        Simples...
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Script the copy (powershell or CMD), test it and then make a scheduled task.
          Simples...
          Fairly simple indeed, but my question is, can it harm the original backup if I add the driveletter and give myself permissions?
          Maybe I should just try that, make some backups and see if I can do a restore of files or the whole server.
          Regards,
          SnijdeA.

Comment

If you want to use the disks for backup again, just remember to remove tha drive letter after you have finished.
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
              If you want to use the disks for backup again, just remember to remove tha drive letter after you have finished.
              Will give it a try, thanks.
              Regards,
              SnijdeA.

Comment

Working...
              X