Urgent DHCP problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent DHCP problem

The setup is pretty simple, a bunch of clients connected to a Small Business Server 2003, acting as the DHCP server.

Everything was working ok on friday, but this morning, some users couldn't log on to the network, as they didn't get an IP address from the server.

After checking and re-checking, I noticed that tha server was no longer giving IP addresses. I restarted the service, but the problem persits.

What can be wrong here?

Re: Urgent DHCP problem

How long are the lease times???

Are there any addresses being used??

Comment

Have you cahnged anthing else in teh network? Added a switch? Added an item which also may have a DHCP server on it? If there is another DHCP server on the network then the one on SBS will shut itself down no matter how many times you restart it.
      Try opening a CMD promt on a station and running IPCONFIG /RELEASE then /RENEW. Do you get an IP now?
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Hi, I am having the same problem as the initial post..... DHCP is up and running, but its not giving out IPs. I used DHCPfind on a workstation and also the server, but nothing was listed.

Recent changes around the time that DHCP has dropped off are ISA 2004 upgrade from ISA 2003, and a failed upgrade of Exchange 2003 SP2, which is another problem to be solved...

Anyway, would be greatly appreciated if anyone can point me to the right direction!

Thanks!

Comment

Guys,

If you could post you're DHCP Options that would help diagnose if it's a setup error. It could be you haven't allowed enough IP's to be issued within the lease time.

Check in the DHCP Manager to see if any addresses are leased. Also check the event log to see if there are any errors around the time that you believe the problem started.

Sorry can't be anymore help, but the idea is to see if the server is actually issuing IP's or not. Might also be worth giving one workstation a static IP in the range you're issuing and see if you can get network resources.

Cheers

Dean

Comment

Has the Netlogon service started?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions! First of all, Netlogon is up and running and everything seems to be fine except DHCP not issuing IPs.

Last night, I TS to the server and performed an update to the Exchange server. I re-ran the ICS only to find that it actually got DHCP to work! Right up till 3am, several workstations were assigned IPs via DHCP. I suspected it was the firewall that's causing the problem, since I turned it off through ICS. This morning when I got back into the office, I rebooted the server after installing more minor updates. Now the DHCP is "dead" again... Ran ICS several times, turning on and off the firewall, still made no difference.. Are there any settings I need to perform on ISA after I updated it to SP2? Also, the firewall ICS refers to is the ISA not Windows firewall right?

Our system is a whitebox server running SBS 2003 Premium. Its a all in one box with 2 network cards. A ver typical Internet-Router-Server-Workstations setup.

Thanks again for all your help!

Comment

Ok... Following the firewall trail, I discovered the problem was with my ISA 2004 rules. Not sure if someone else has deleted them or they were never present, I had to add in the 2 rules which allow for DHCP requests and replies. For all interested, check out the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx#Internal

Thanks everyone for helping out!

Comment

Congratulations for fixing your issue and thanks for posting back with the results.

I'm sure it will help someone in the same boat.

Comment

hi Guys,

Post moved to:
                    DNS & DHCP in SBS 2003
                    Habibalby
                    Last edited by habibalby; 6th July 2006, 13:26.
                    ================================
                    HND: Higher National Diploma in
                    Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
                    MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
                    Done:VMware DSA
                    ================================[/COLOR]

Comment

Oh come on habibalby , 178 posts and you don't start a new thread for your problem.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Alrigh, will start a new thread.

Habibalby
                        ================================
                        HND: Higher National Diploma in
                        Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
                        MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
                        Done:VMware DSA
                        ================================[/COLOR]

Comment

Thank you. Also, could you edit your above post to remove the question and information. This way any answers will not be split between the two posts. Just delete the contents and put the comment "Post moved" (and hyperlink to the new thread you created if you like).
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                          X