X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sbs 2011 vmware

Hi All,

I want to P2V my SBS 2011 to ESXi 5.1
    Does anybody know what's the VM system requirements?

ESXi Server will be:

Dell R720 XD
    2 CUP 6 core and 12 threads per CPU
    64GB Memory
    2 HD 300 GB SAS, and 6 HD 600 GB

Thanks in advance

Moshe

Re: Sbs 2011 vmware

Does anybody know what's the VM system requirements?

What requirements are you speaking of? Is the hardware on the vSphere 5.1 HCL? If it is then you should be OK.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/comp...48572450,d.dmQ

Comment

I need to know what virtual hardware i need to have for sbs 2011 on a virtual machine.
      I have 20 users so how much virtual ram and cpu should i give for the sbs 2011 virtual machine

Thanks in advance

Moshe

Comment

What do you have in the physical SBS server? Configure the VM to match it.

Comment

And compare with MS suggested hardware -- as a rough recommendation, 4 processor cores and 16Gb RAM (but more processor and, within reason, more RAM is good)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Unless you want the system to run like a dog do not over commit vCPU cores, vmware addresses CPU cores differently to Hyper V and physical systems and if say 4 are assigned the hypervisor will actually wait for all 4 cores to become available to perform 1 operation.

In most cases this will make the server slower especially if the system is oversubscribed which lets face it most virtual servers are thus can cause the host to lock up, I've seen this many times in systems I've been called in to fix.

Just because 1 vCPU is assigned doesn't mean the VM will not use all cores as it operates in a multiplexing configuration.

The most I'd assign is 2 vCPU cores and a minimum of 12GB of ram, you have to remember SBS11 uses Exchange 2010 which is quite resource hungry particularly on memory and disk IO.

What is often over looked is Storage performance it is the biggest bottleneck of virtual systems, Yes you may have the capacity to store the VM but do you have the raw performance?
            Last edited by spool.; 5th September 2013, 02:10.

Comment

Working...
            X