Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS Migration Issue 2008R2 to SBS2011

Hi,

I have a site running a Server 2008R2 domain controller. I am going to migrate this to SBS2011 as they now need Exchange Email and SQL.

When I run the Migration Preparation Tool on the source server, I get an error because the File Replication Service is not running.

When you have a Server 2008 domain, the FRS service is not used, replaced by the DFS Replication Service.

How can I get the DFS to start so the Migration can be started?

Regards

Gavin

Re: SBS Migration Issue 2008R2 to SBS2011

start it from the services console.

interestingly, how many users do you have ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hello.

Thanks for the reply.

In 2008r2 the standard NTFRS system is not used. While it is still there as a service it cannot be started as the DFS replication is used.

Obviously the Migration Preparation Tool just checks the state of the service, and because it is not running determines that the procedure cannot complete.

Regards
      Gavin

Comment

Hi,

My customers site has 20 users.currently a domain controller and a terminal server.

The reason for moving from 2008 domain to an Sbs domain is that they now need to use Exchange and SQL server for their new Management System.

While I could purchase another server 2008 licence, Exchange and then SQL and 25 Cals and a single new server. The cost of this is greater than the purchase of a HP server with an SBS2011 standard bundle, Premium upgrade and the additional Standard and Premium Cals.

I don't want to go through the process of creating a new domain, recreating all the users and especially the terminal server profiles, as this was done just over 12 months ago, and it is finally running smoothly for the remote users. All the little niggles about font sizes, resolution, desktop icons have been resolved.

Regards

Gavin

Comment

what's the cost of Office365 for 20 users over 3 years, compared to the cost of the new infrastructure (take into consideration full cost of ownership, including 3 year warranty, power cost for 3 years, appropriate grade hardware (redundant power, proper redundant disks, not that BS b110 SATA "raid controller" they ship by default)

Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your input tehcamel, but it is not relevant to the question asked.

Regards

Gavin

Comment

Hello,

I appear to have found a solution to the migration issue.

When first running the Migration Preparation Tool on the source server, it will give you an option to check online for updates.
              I had allowed this to occur. This was a mistake.
              In the updates which Microsoft have produced for the tool, they have included a check for the NTFRS service to be installed and running.

So I removed the tool, and reinstalled the original version from the SBS2011 DVD. When I ran the tool this time, I declined the update check, and so far the tool has run without errors, and has allowed the SBS2011 installation to continue.

Regards

Gavin

Comment

Originally posted by gavdaniels View Post
                Hi,

Thanks for your input tehcamel, but it is not relevant to the question asked.

Regards

Gavin
                never said it was relevant - was just playing devils advocate

you're welcome

Comment

Working...
                X