Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble understanding how mail delivery is configured, please help

I have a server running SBS 2008.
    Everything is working without issue, however, I cannot understand how the email delivery is actually working.

Exchange is listening on Port 25, if I connect directly via telnet I can deliver an email to any user on the domain, so everything is working as it should be.

However, when I look up the MX records for the domain, the first result (Pref 5) is a non existant domain that will not resolve to an IP address, the second and third results are the FQDNs for the two mailservers run by the domains registrar.

for arguements sake, mail1.domainmanagement.com, mail2.domainmanagement.com

So based on that, I would expect that our server must be picking the mail up from those servers via some sort of pop connector.

But SBS pop connector is not configured, and I cannot see any third party connector present on the system, or in services.

If I send an email to a domain user, it is delivered within 1 minute or less, and if I make a new email address for a user, and send to that it is also delivered.

I have tried calling the domain host, but they cannot provide much help.

Am I missing something obvious?
    David Silvester
    Systems Administrator

Re: Having trouble understanding how mail delivery is configured, please help

So I take it that you can send/receive Mail for External users in a different Domain? Have you looked at the Message Tracking logs?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
      So I take it that you can send/receive Mail for External users in a different Domain? Have you looked at the Message Tracking logs?
      Yes, email is fully working with both internal and external addresses.

There isnt actually a problem, other than the fact that I need to understand how the system is working.

I have checked the headers of an email received by an internal user, from an external address, and the first part of the header shows that it has been received by our server, from mail1.domainmanagement.com (The SMTP/web server of the people that manage the domain (and the broadband incidentally)) and the same address listed as the primary MX record.

What I dont understand is how it gets from there to our server - I assume either we are picking it up with a pop conncetor, or there is a rule at their end forwarding everything on to our server - is that possible?
      David Silvester
      Systems Administrator

Comment

As the MX record points to them, they will have a setting configured that points to the relevant external IP on your Firewall that points to your Exchange server. In this scenario, there is the possibility and if you can, you should, to only allow port 25 connections from their External IPs. Also, review the properties of the SMTP receive connector and see what IPs are listed. Do look at message tracking via EMC.

Comment

Working...
        X