Simplest Way to add a 2008 server to a SBS 2011 Running the domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simplest Way to add a 2008 server to a SBS 2011 Running the domain

We are running a SBS 2011 box, it has 16 GIG's of RAM. I have our old server thatI am wondering about letting it handle some of the load that the 2011 server is running. (not very well) I understand SBS 2011 is very Memory intensive. We have considered adding more memory but I am afraid that the Exchange would just eat up the extra memory not leaving anything for any other processes. There is SQL, (Third party) Trend micro WFB, Peachtree accountting, Exchange 2010, Acronis, and one or two other applications that use up RAM. But it seems after SBS gets what it wants, not much left. Can someone guide me a little through the process? Do I need to run DCPromo on the 2008 Box? Or would it work to just set the server up as a workstation?

Re: Simplest Way to add a 2008 server to a SBS 2011 Running the domain

You only need to run DCPROMO if you want the new server to be a Domain Controller. If you only want it to perform other roles then you just need to join it to the domain. It will then become a member server, not a workstation.

Comment

Are there any advantages to running a second DC? That would make it worth it? Given that this is a small office But they like the toys of a big office.

Comment

Normally you would want at least two domain Controllers. In your situation all of the resources that users access are on the SBS server, so if the SBS server goes down users will be able to authenticate to the second DC but they won't be able to access anything on the SBS server.

That being said, you should implement another DC anyway because it will provide redundancy for AD. You can also migrate some services, like file and print services, to the new DC to take some load off of the SBS server.

Comment

OK, thank you.
          I am not much on server OSes, I assume I would start with DCpromo on the second server?

Comment

Originally posted by akersrus View Post
            OK, thank you.
            I am not much on server OSes, I assume I would start with DCpromo on the second server?

Nope. You can only have one DC in an SBS2011 domain environment. You can join a Server 2008 R2 to the domain, just don't add the DC roles to it.
            Regards,

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by LSainsbury View Post
              Nope. You can only have one DC in an SBS2011 domain environment. You can join a Server 2008 R2 to the domain, just don't add the DC roles to it.
              Sorry, but this is a myth....
              There is no issue with having additional domain controllers in an SBS domain provided the SBS still holds the FSMOs
              From the horses mouth: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archi...bs-domain.aspx

A good example of when you should have additional domain controllers is with a multi site environment (small chain of offices, for example) where each will benefit from local logons etc.
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Sorry, but this is a myth....
                There is no issue with having additional domain controllers in an SBS domain provided the SBS still holds the FSMOs
                From the horses mouth: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archi...bs-domain.aspx

A good example of when you should have additional domain controllers is with a multi site environment (small chain of offices, for example) where each will benefit from local logons etc.
                Ahh yes - my bad. I've mainly been involved with SBS2003 - SBS2011 migrations and the official line is you can only have one SBS server on the same domain.
                Regards,

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by LSainsbury View Post
                  this is absolutely, completely and categorically incorrect.

Originally posted by LSainsbury
                  Ahh yes - my bad. I've mainly been involved with SBS2003 - SBS2011 migrations and the official line is you can only have one SBS server on the same domain.
                  This is true - you can only have one SBS server in a domain, unless you're doing a migration.
                  However - OP wasn't talking about multiple SBS servers (I assume)

To OP - in terms of sharing your load a bit, if you were to install the second server, i would probably consider this:

- Move WFBS and Peachtreee off the SBS server
                  - also move SQL and Acronis is possible.

the other thing to remember is - while Exchange and SQL will both soak up as much memory as they can, if the memory is needed and Ex/Sql aren't using it - it will release it when requested.. It's fairly normal to see an SBS server running at 85%+ of physical memory, most of the time. (At least in every situation with less than 16GB that i've seen it)
                  Last edited by tehcamel; 23rd June 2013, 00:22.
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                  X