No announcement yet.

Server 2003 to Windows XP Joining Domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 to Windows XP Joining Domain

First poster here! Please dont get angries with me

I have a client computer that was disconnected from the domain from the Domain Controller. The computer's account was reset. Easy enough to go into the computer using a local account and disjoin/rejoin to the domain, however it seems no-one remembers the password to the local account.

The data that is stored on the local machine's hard drive is important so we are trying to recover it. I've tried to go into Manage My Computer on the Domain Controller (using an administrator login of course) and Connect to another computer, but that just gives me a security error. I can ping the client, so I know its being seen. This obviously means that I cannot log in with a domain admin account due to it not being on the domain.

Any thoughts on how I can either 1) Unlock the local user account, or 2) Disjoin/rejoin it to the network so I can log in with a domain admin account, or 3) Somehow bypass the login part using some hacker whatever to retrieve the data. I can re-image the machine later if it breaks or whatever. I just reeeally want that data.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Re: Server 2003 to Windows XP Joining Domain

Password reset on the local admin account is probably easiest
    (plus note for next time to check/reset the local admin password before disjoining)

Alternatively, remove the HDD, mount in another PC and copy data (as long as nothing is encrypted with a local account)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Server 2003 to Windows XP Joining Domain

set local administrator password
      or nordahl

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.