Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have to ping server IP to browse

Hi All,

My 2011 WHS disconnects unless I ping it's IP after I haven't used it for a period of time.

I've recently installed a new WHS 2011 Server at home (on different HW) and am having the same issue as before.

I'll try to browse (from 2 different computers) to mapped drives and it will error (sry, didn't screenshot it), try to ping the DNS and it fails, ping IP and I get replies, then ping DNS and get replies, then browse to mapped drives and displays correctly.

I've checked the power settings and can't see anything for sleeping the NIC, have also had a look in the NIC HW properties and can't see a setting to put it to sleep.

I'm just using my router (Netgear dg834g, also recently replaced the last one with this spare) to manage DNS & DHCP. I've set a static IP for the server, there are no DHCP conflicts, all IPs are unique.

I'm using Windows Firewall on the server and workstations.

Any help would help would be greatly appreciated & stop me from going crazy(er)!

Thanks!
    I've been using this online backup for all my photos, docs, spreadsheets, powerpoints & emails for years now & it works great.
    Go Here for their free 5GB: http://www.idrive.com/p=gavamm
    I upgraded to the Personal Plan for peace of mind for not much more than a cup of coffee.

Re: Have to ping server IP to browse

Ok, so I'm thinking I will just manage DNS through the hosts file given the small number of devices on the home network.

It's likely that the cached DNS information on the local PCs is what is allowing me to connect in the first place (since the router won't be properly managing DNS) which must allow it to work for a while but then when not used for a while DNS is cleaned out which requires an IP ping to get things started.

I'll check this when home by running a flushdns and try pinging the DNS name again.
    I've been using this online backup for all my photos, docs, spreadsheets, powerpoints & emails for years now & it works great.
    Go Here for their free 5GB: http://www.idrive.com/p=gavamm
    I upgraded to the Personal Plan for peace of mind for not much more than a cup of coffee.

Comment

Re: Have to ping server IP to browse

Originally posted by woodgrain
      I've checked the power settings and can't see anything for sleeping the NIC
      Does this include looking at the Device Manager settings, Power Management tab at the settings in there?

With the green highlighted option you could set that and have a script that will PING the IP.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
      X