No announcement yet.

Odd EMC issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd EMC issue

SBS Std 2011 Opening the EMC and then trying to expand the default exchange forest gives an kerberos error access denied (as does trying to open the EMS)

However, I can add a new exchange forest with the same credentials and view as normal !

Most places seem to point to time sync differences between the exchange server and DC but this can't be the case.

Has anyone seen this/knows how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Odd EMC issue

when you say "Add a new exchange forest" what do you mean? SBS can only have a single forest, and there can only be on exchange organisation within a forest..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

I suspect he means "add the current forest as a new one" but no doubt we will get an authoritative answer sometimes.

EMC can be very slow, so may be timing out when loading initially
      Please post server specifications
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

also, you are logging om with a user account that has exchange administrator permissions, righ t?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Apologies for the delay in response been tied up on multiple projects!

So, login to the SBS server as 'usera' which is an HP Proliant G6 with 18Gb and 1.5Tb disk space.

Open the EMC, Wait a couple of minutes when it initialises. Click on the "Microsoft Exchange on Premises and the following message is displayed " the attempt to connect to htp://fdqnofserver/powershell using kerberos authentication failed logon failure unknown username or bad password

If i then right click and add another instance using the same credentials that are are supposedly incorrect. It works

Hope this clarifies.

I have seen this happen when something else takes over the standard web sites. In one case someone else installed the default sharepoint site (companyweb) on port 80 and 443 instead of 987.
            Rerunning the Fix my network wizard etc corrected the situation IIRC.

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.