Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS11: c$ works in win7 but not in xp

Hi,

I just setup a new domain with 6 old machines and 2 new. Now I need to copy some stuff from the old profiles to the server, but I cant access C$ in the old machines. In the 2 new win7 machines I can access the C$, but dont help me since no old profiles there .

The error I normally get is 0x80004005 or in one of the machines ask me for a username and password and give me always logon failure.

How can I solve that?

Re: SBS11: c$ works in win7 but not in xp

This is not an SBS specific question, but since we cover everything in SBS I'll respond anyway
    There is no reason that you cannot access C$ in XP unless you have changed a policy to block the admin shares at some point. I can suggest that you install a virtual XP/W7 machine and use FAST (File And Settings Transfer Wizard) from XP or WET (Windows Easy Transfer) in W7 to transfer the profiles you need to the virtual machine and from there to the server.
    TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
    http://www.wintra.co.il/
    sigpic
    Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Thank you for your answer I'll do it.

But I install the sbs with the default settings, so something is wrong there. I dont want to leave this like this and when I need it will take time till the problem is solved.

Any idea what could be the problem?

Comment

Not sure what could have caused this, but you could start by using GPRESULT from the command line to see what the resultant set of policies give you for an affected XP computer.
        TIA

sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

Comment

It could be as simple as domain admins not being local admins on the clients -- I can't remember if there is a standard policy which sets this, but worth creating a GPO explicitly to do so
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian
            Using http://connect makes the users you specify local admins
            TIA

sigpic

Comment

Yes, but was it run?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X