company.local domain DNS not forwarding company.com DNS queries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• company.local domain DNS not forwarding company.com DNS queries

I recently setup a domain. The domain was called company.local. Now the users on the domain aren't able to get their email using company.com. It's my understanding that the DNS should only resolve company.local queries and then use root servers to resolve anything else. The DNS server forwards any other domains to root DNS servers, but when I try and resolve company.com the server times out for some reason. The reason the .local domain was used was to avoid such conflicts. Anyone know why this is happening, or how to resolve it? This is a SBS 2003 Server.

Re: company.local domain DNS not forwarding company.com DNS queries

Does it resolve other names ok? Is there a zone for Company.com within your DNS? One may exist still.

Comment

Re: company.local domain DNS not forwarding company.com DNS queries

Is exchange handling company.com mail locally?
      Have you tried putting an explicit www.company.com A record in the SBS DNS server?
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Working...
      X