Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Companyweb Stopped Working

Hi

Companyweb has suddenly stopped working , page not found , DNS error , the usual type of error message etc. If I use the IP instead i get the same message. The local OWA has also quit working on http:\\10.0.0.2\exchange

This is pointing to an IIS issue, I re started all the services but still no access. I also created a new webpage in IIS on port 888 and put a basic index.htm file in C:\websites. This does not work either. No apparent error messages in the log files.

IP of server 10.0.0.2, DNS is 10.0.0.2 and gateway 10.0.0.1 - Internet works fine

Any ideas ?

John

Re: Companyweb Stopped Working

Since it is SBS, suggest you start with UTFW (Use the *friendly* wizard) to reinitialise all the virtual directories etc.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Its been a while since did any maintenance on this server, where do I go to start this wizard ?

Comment

Server Management in Administrative Tools, look for Configure Email and Internet Wizard or something like that.

My standard SBS answer, run the Best Practices Analyser as well. It's a free download from Microsoft if you don't already have it.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Summary so far

I did some research the issue is related to memory resources, a re boot fixed the problem - details below

did finally find a fix to the problem, here is what I did:

In IIS I created a new application pool and put the application in that
          pool. It didn't fix the problem, but limited the site being unavailable to
          only those in the same application pool.

I also found that the reason my sites were going down is I was getting
          System.OutOfMemoryException and that was what took all the sites in the
          application pool down. So to fix, I adjusted the virtual file size as
          suggested here:
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ram_tuning.asp

The boot.ini file is modified by adding the two parameters /3GB and
          /USERVA=3030. For a Small Business Server 2003 the entry could look as
          follows:

[boot loader]

Timeout=30 Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S [Operating
          Systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws Server for
          Small Business Server" /fastdetect /3GB /USERVA=3030

SBS 2003ólike Windows Server 2003óreserves 2 GB of virtual address space for
          the kernel and allows user-mode processes to use 2 GB of virtual address
          space. A specific amount of virtual memory is assigned to a process when it
          starts. This amount can increase during operation. By default, the memory
          usage of a process is much smaller than the address space allocated for that
          process. the /3GB modification is made so that 3 GB of memory is available

Thanks

John

Comment

I don't know the exact details of your problem. But I DO know that it is recommended NOT to use the /3GB switch on an SBS 2003 - except if you are that 1 in 10000 case that is talked about in this article here
            I attended that conference where Mark Stanfill (an MS engineer I very much respect) explained in great detail that using /3GB can actually cause more problems than it can solve.
            Do the research...
            TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
            http://www.wintra.co.il/
            sigpic
            Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by teiger View Post
              I don't know the exact details of your problem. But I DO know that it is recommended NOT to use the /3GB switch on an SBS 2003 - except if you are that 1 in 10000 case that is talked about in this article here
              I attended that conference where Mark Stanfill (an MS engineer I very much respect) explained in great detail that using /3GB can actually cause more problems than it can solve.
              Do the research...
              Thanks, I didn't update the boot.ini, just a reboot seems to have done it.

Comment

Working...
              X